• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Feel bad

Luke

New Kit
Hi All,

My 7 month old Florida White , Winston got neutered last week. Seems to be doing well until I took him back for his post op check and the vet told me he's got to the wound, so had to prescribe him some antibiotics which he'll need to be given daily by syringe.

2 things...

I let him have roam of the living room for a couple of hours every evening, which means handling him and picking him up. He still hates it. When I have to catch him to put him back he will do his best to avoid me catching him. He'll come to me for treats... just about, but when I go to pick him up he scarpers. I understand it's prey behaviour, but would he not get used to me by now if ever? When I pick him up I can hear him breathing really fast and it makes me wonder whether I'm doing more harm to him constantly picking him up than not.

Secondly, I live on my own and he won't take his meds. I hold him down as firm as possible but it's literally like life or death for him, he'll wriggle so much I just give up. Not sure what else to do?

I'm sorry Winston got to the wound and needs to take some antibiotics now. Sending him lots of vibes. Since you say he comes to you for treats, could you lure him into his cage/pen with a treat, instead of luring him to you and then picking him up? You could teach him that when it's time to go back, he'll get a treat. I can't guarantee it'll work, but it's something to try. Also, he might never get used to being handled and picked up. Most rabbits simply find it very scary, and it'll always be scary to them. I'd try to avoid picking him up as much as you can, but I understand that you have to right now because he needs medication. For when you have to give him his meds, I find that kneeling over the bunny while holding them between the V of your knees/legs (with the bunny facing forward and making sure they can't back up and escape that way) works better than trying to hold them in your arms.

I'm sorry Winston got to the wound and needs to take some antibiotics now. Sending him lots of vibes. Since you say he comes to you for treats, could you lure him into his cage/pen with a treat, instead of luring him to you and then picking him up? You could teach him that when it's time to go back, he'll get a treat. I can't guarantee it'll work, but it's something to try. Also, he might never get used to being handled and picked up. Most rabbits simply find it very scary, and it'll always be scary to them. I'd try to avoid picking him up as much as you can, but I understand that you have to right now because he needs medication. For when you have to give him his meds, I find that kneeling over the bunny while holding them between the V of your knees/legs (with the bunny facing forward and making sure they can't back up and escape that way) works better than trying to hold them in your arms.

This is exactly the method I use. It's much easier to keep control of the bunny than if you try to hold them on your lap, even if you use a burrito. I would also take Winston to a room he's not familiar with to do the meds. It sometimes makes them less keen to try to escape your clutches.

I would try this before trying to hide the medication in food, as you will never know whether he's had the full dose doing it that way.

With my giants the only way to give meds alone that they won't take themselves is by doing a burrito with a big towel, bum tucked in first, the two long ends wrapped under the chin, crossed over the back, and then I can kneel on the ends to keep them snug and restrained but not squashed, in the same position as above, in the V between my legs. Without having the towel under my knees as well it is impossible to keep them wrapped and it all takes so much longer and therefore more stressful.
Having said that, we've found that raspberries are superb for hiding meds in, stick it inside and put a little bit of raspberry on top, give one to start, then the meds one, then a clean one in rapid succession. This might be too many berries for smaller rabbits, but might be worth it in a real struggle. I keep my hand or a small saucer under their chin when eating as then I can see that none has escaped.

Thanks guys, a lot of helpful advice. Will try the holding him between the V of my legs approach. I noticed in the video above she's only squeezing a little bit of the medicine in at the time. Am I OK to get it over with... 2.5ml? (1.5 med + 1.0 juice)

When I need to catch mine (which isn't often as they're free roam) I put a treat in a carrier and wait until they go inside and then move them. You may find your bun finds this less stressful and maybe even likes it. I also use the same method to catch them to give meds and use the bunny burrito.

I would suggest giving the medication in increments rather than all in one go.

Bit of an update : -

Tried the new technique today with Winston... (as shown in the video someone linked above), kept him between my legs facing outwards and gently pushed down on his head. He wasn't happy although in the end he just accepted it and let me do it. I also squirted in a little bit a time rather than blast it all in one go (this is what he hated the most I think - was silly of me to do).

I will attempt the carrier trick later when I bring him into the living room with me.

Thanks again guys, sound advice.

Bit of an update : -

Tried the new technique today with Winston... (as shown in the video someone linked above), kept him between my legs facing outwards and gently pushed down on his head. He wasn't happy although in the end he just accepted it and let me do it. I also squirted in a little bit a time rather than blast it all in one go (this is what he hated the most I think - was silly of me to do).

I will attempt the carrier trick later when I bring him into the living room with me.

Thanks again guys, sound advice.

well done :thumb:
i would like to say it gets easier with practise which it does but can still be an issue. i thought i was reasonably well practised but have struggled recently. some times are easier than others.

I guess I am lucky to have a junkie Bunny !

T9vZ0W8.jpg

Back