• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Experiences with trios please

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
Sorry lots of bonding questions!Just trying to make the right decision.:)

Im wondering whether to bond a trio.Basically it involves 3 single neutered buns-2 males and one female.Id love them to become a trio but have 2 enclosures incase I need them.I just don't want to end up with 3 singles which is always a risk when trying out a trio.

I have read the trio bonding "sticky"but would love to learn from people who have bonded a trio or have a trio which were already bonded when they had them.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I cant help here as the only successful trios I have had were either litter mates or Doe and two of her kits. I did once attempt to bond a pair of Does with a Buck but it was an unmitigated disaster !! Luckily it didn't destroy the Does' bond, but it came close to it.

I will follow this thread with interest xx

I've had a couple of trios - both 2 sisters and an unrelated male. In both cases, the girls were feisty before I introduced the male and in both cases it was a fairly simple bonding process, despite my reservations. I did find that although all three got along fine, the strong bond the 2 sisters had was weakened by the male and there often seemed to be one bun by itself. It was never the same bun though, so I didn't worry that one was always being left out but I found that where the girls were always huddled together pre-trio, they always sat in a pair and a single post-trio. Very rarely did they huddle as a trio.

It wouldn't put me off another trio because it was an obvious solution to a lonely bunny situation at the time. But I do feel that pairs produces stronger bonds.

Last edited:
My only trios have been siblings.

Years ago I did try and integrate Bentley in with my girls who are sisters. All went well, they loved Bentley, he loved them, but after two blissful weeks a huge fight broke out between Poppy and Pansy, resulting in Poppy needing stitches. Neither of the girls had a problem with Bentley, but adding him into the mix upset the hierarchy between the girls. Previously there had never been a cross word between my girls, they have always been very close. Thankfully the bond between the girls wasn't broken and after a tense couple of days they settled down and returned to normal, without Bentley of course. This experience really upset me and has put me off introducing a single into an existing pair/group because of how it might affect the existing bond. This is just my experience and I know there are plenty of people who have managed it successfully.

I have a young trio from babies. Dutch siblings and about 8 months old now. 1 male and 2 females with the one female being veryangry and stroppy and bullying the others and the other sister and brother brother having a special bond. I had the male neutered at about 4 months and have had both girls done seperately in the last 2 week's. The stroppy female is slowly simmering down and once they are all back together and hormones have settled, I am hoping we can move on in peace. It has been hard work and the stroppy girl has inflicted a couple of nasty injuries on the other female. Watching and hoping.

I had a trio before. A binded duo of brothers with Willow, Willow was happy with both boys but the boys fought over her. If she wasn't in their space, the boys were loved up. The second Willow appeared all hell broke loose. I sadly had to return these boys to the rescue but they were beautiful.

Just now we have a pair of bonded brothers and Willow. The boys are insperable but Willow finds her interaction with Obi more of a friendly one, Chewy is just so timid, he rarely ventures out of the shed,,,
Willow does most of the grooming, it has to be said, I have never seen them spend my time grooming her,

This bond is working a bit better so it just goes to show what a strange dynamic a trio does have,,,

Thankyou so much for the replies everyone.:)Mischief and Tinkers Mum the video is brilliant.You made it look so easy but of course it isn't really.

Im trying to imagine how the group dynamic would be if the bonding worked as its all about personalities.

Milly is quiet and unassuming.She was always very submissive with her husbun before.

Morris is quite shy but very sweet and has never shown an ounce of aggression with me.

Bruce is a complete loon.Very sweet and funny and abit of a clown.

So hard to say for sure I know, but does this combination sound possible?

Well, my Wilow is feisty, inquisitive and loving and desperate for grooms

Obi is cheeky, stubborn, doesn't do grooms and is often fighting with Willow so see who can get through the catflap at the one time for noms..

Chewy is timid, wide eyed, hates noserubs, hides and always out last to see what the others are doing

You wouldn't think it works but it does? I daresay , you'll never know until you try!,

Good luck
fee xxx

Back