• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excel pellets again not eaten ud p14

Mrsmcarey

Mama Doe
I have brought 2 x 4kg bags as they were on offer of Burgess Excel Adult pellets :thumb:

My rabbits aren't eating them :( these are their usual feed so no change in brand :?

This is two different pairs both not eating them :(

Rosie is a proper foodie and rarely misses her dinner let alone breakfast too :shock: and Pie is pretty much a dustbin :roll:

Casserole like Pie is dustbin and Stu more refined however likes his food too :)

I have checked all rabbits over and offered treats and greens and they are eaten fine so I think Burgess are messing with recipe again:evil:

I have emailed Burgess and am waiting for a reply :roll:

Last edited:
Same here, Tallulah wasn't eating at all last week and had a vets visit to sort her out but Bugsy then started to refuse the pellets too. Both are happily munching hay, treats, fresh veg etc. Thought it may have been because we were nearing the bottom of the bag but opened a new one and the same thing. They've eaten a few more in the last 24 hrs but, like yours, they would come running, especially for breakfast and they're not now.

It's the only brand they've ever had, they have the junior / dwarf version and up to now have loved it. Be good to hear what Burges have to say

Same here, Tallulah wasn't eating at all last week and had a vets visit to sort her out but Bugsy then started to refuse the pellets too. Both are happily munching hay, treats, fresh veg etc. Thought it may have been because we were nearing the bottom of the bag but opened a new one and the same thing. They've eaten a few more in the last 24 hrs but, like yours, they would come running, especially for breakfast and they're not now.

It's the only brand they've ever had, they have the junior / dwarf version and up to now have loved it. Be good to hear what Burges have to say

Hi RosemaryG, Whats the batch number on your bag ? mine is 17 03 2016 0251 bar code 5 023861 114704 just to see if its the same date at all?

Hi - this is the bag we opened yesterday

Best Before date: 22 01 2016 14:47

Bar Code: 5 023861 114728

Product code: XP10010F

hmm yes mine is the adult version of that so slightly different product but i think essentially the same :?

my girls eventually ate what put down for breakfast they only get 2 egg cups so not really that much :roll: and dinner is still there untouched but the herbs and cabbage have gone.:D

and the boys were eating their hay when i went out :) but still have most of the breakfast from yesterday left in their bowl, but again the cabbage and herbs have gone:?

if i get a reply from Burgess i will post it on here :thumb:

It may be they have changed ingredients or one of the ingredients is spoiled, that would be common in both types of the pellets. This is seeming to be a common problem recently. There's at least this one other thread concerning the same issue.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?442054-Bunny-has-stopped-eating-pellets&highlight=eating+pellets

Yes i knew there was another thread but couldnt find it :oops:

i think maybe they have altered the recipe or something isn't right with it as its seems that they could be made around the same time as we are all getting problems with the new bags, i did have some queries when they changed bag design as had a change in appetite then but this is just odd that all 4 are not liking them from this new bag, i'm going to take the other bag back and check dates and change it for a different batch to try and see if these are different and eaten :?

My concern would be with contamination before or during processing, as this can also cause a rabbit to go off their pellets and in some cases can cause severe illness. It's possible it is just a new ingredient that is making the pellets not taste very good, but it just seems odd to keep hearing about this occurring.

Hopefully you'll get a reply from Burgess.

Last edited:
I've heard that burgess excel rabbit food is alfalfa hay based so not great for adult rabbits, personally I wouldn't recommend feeding it to your rabbits.

Ours get 2 shot glasses full - no egg cups here :lol: - in the morning that are normally gone by midday, veg & forage in the afternoon and then a couple more shot glasses of pellets late evening, tonight there is about a teaspoon of pellets left, everything else has gone. Obviously, hay is always available and I've noticed that they seem to be eating more of that - half way through a bag from Timothy Hay, it's looking nice and green and stalky.

Mine have been eating the junior excel, but the last two bags I bought both split and I lost quite a lot of pellets. Any one else had this problem?

Mine have been eating the junior excel, but the last two bags I bought both split and I lost quite a lot of pellets. Any one else had this problem?

I have noticed that there are small holes in the sides of these bags these must be to stop the food from sweating I haven't noticed that in any other bags I have had but then if there isn't a problem I don't examine the bag :?

I was wondering if this may have let something in like an odour that has put them off eating it ?

I had a reply email from Burgess and they want a sample of the food so will be posting some to them for analysis

However in the meantime everyone is eating the pellets again now same bag but I'm going to post sample anyway of both bags I have the unopened one also

Thanks for the update - mine are both eating the pellets again too but it will be interesting to know what Burgess have to say

Back