• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elderly rabbit dragging back legs

Full house

New Kit
Robin is approximately 9/10+. He had a bad case of GI stasis about 5 days ago, but it actually looked like bloat and he underwent several tests at the vet. A few days prior to that, he started to lie on his side, a bit curled up like a croissant. His front legs appeared to be a bit weak and he'd stumble a bit. The vet said this was likely to be caused by buprenorphine which he has with Loxicom. The vet reduced the buprenorphine dose from 0.16mls 3 x a day, to 0.13 mls 3 x a day. Loxicom is .2mls 2 x a day. This was on Tuesday. His tummy is still a bit iffy, but he's eating masses and he seems ok.

Yesterday his back legs caused him to stumble and his evening he started to drag himself around on them. He got covered in wee, so I washed him carefully. He seems understandably upset with this and I have spent hours under the bed with him stroking and comforting him. He is still eating for England. He's always liked eating, but he can't get enough veggies.

I've pulled the mattress of the bed and am lying on the floor near him. He's lying on some vet bed. He started trying to move, not very successfully, so I picked him up, to put him back nearer to me and he urinated all over me. Masses of it. He seems more settled, until he tries to move and he gets in a tizz again.

There are no other symptoms. No head tilt, etc. He's not tender when I touch his legs, back etc. The xrays were of his stomach, but the spine looked fine.

I don't know what to do. He's been through so much already,with IVs, xrays, ultrasounds etc.

One last thing. His friend is usually with him virtually every second of every day, but won't go near him. It's been like this for a few days. I initially thought it was because Robin smelled of the vets, but he last saw the vet on Tuesday. Robin is clearly upset and keeps trying to get near her, but she has no interest whatsoever.

I am really struggling with my mental health, the last 18 months or so have been horrendous. My head goes to full blown panic. I keep thinking I must have hurt him picking him up, or that the vet dropped him etc. It's only them and me and I honestly don't know what to do. Robin has perked up this evening and I am prepared to do everything necessary to care for him if we carry on, but earlier this evening, he was so upset and frightened, I nearly took him straight to the vets to be pts.

I know treatment for EC is a worthwhile first step, but I've known EC and he has no other symptoms recognisable to me, from my previous experience. I don't feel if I am prepared to put him through more xrays to be honest. He's had a lot of dentals and the vet's is a very upsetting place for him.

Prior to this, he was a very tired boy, sleeping mostly, apart from when eating.

I just can't help but wonder if he's had enough. I'm prepared to give him more time to see how he copes, but want to avoid any more vet visits if possible, especially at this time.

I can't say anything about health because I have no experience in this. There are really people on the forum who can help you with this and I hope you get this help quickly. I hope your rabbit recovers, get well soon. :|

If the X-rays were taken AFTER his hind leg problems developed and were found to be OK then an acute neurological event seems likely. This could be EC , a CVA or possibly a brain mass.. Obviously without further diagnostics it is impossible to know what is going on, but I understand your reluctance to put him through any more of those.

The weeing issues are probably because he has lost bladder sensation so he is unable to feel when his bladder is full. The recent episode of gut stasis may have been a secondary symptom to whatever is going on now.

I am sorry that your Rabbit is so poorly, I would advise you to speak with your Vet again today, even if you decide that your Rabbit is not able to cope with more treatment.

I’m sorry Robin is so poorly :cry: I agree with IM, I would call and discuss with the vet. Sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

I'm so sorry to hear that Robin is struggling, I agree with the above posts, I think you need to speak with the vet again. I'm sorry that you are having your own struggles too, and I appreciate how hard it is when it's just you. Sending many for vibes for Robin, and a hug for you, let us know how you get on xx

I agree with above posts. Even if you and your vet do not think diagnostics an option, vet may attempt to treat possible causes medically.

Do not blame yourself. sending positive vibes.

Back