• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I get my rabbit a friend?

beth_cf

New Kit
I've owned my rabbit Roo for a whole year now and she seems to be perfectly happy with my/her own company. She has a massive two tier hutch, a courtyard and a rabbit run all to herself. However a friend of mine has just had a litter of baby bunnies born and its got me wondering whether she could do with a rabbit friend. However, shes quite boisterous and I'm not overly sure after having all that space to herself shes going to take to another rabbit very well.

My friend has offered to let me try out one of her little ones and see whether Roo accepts but I have a couple of things I'm unsure about. Would Roo be prone to bullying the baby because she is older? Shes only a dutch dwarf but she would be a year older. Would she prefer the company of a male or female rabbit? I've heard 2 girls can fight but would male bunny be able to mate at 10 weeks or would I need him neutered straight away before I introduce them?

Also, I wouldn't be able to get a separate hutch so would have to introduce them straight away. What would be the best way to do this? I could possibly split the hutch into 2 levels but they wouldn't be able to see each other.

If anyone could help answer any of the questions I would really really appreciate it!! :D

I am interested in that as well, I have my bun from 3 years and I was never told until I joined the board that 2 neutered bunnies can live together. Now I worry if she is lonely, although just like your bunny she is quite perky and I doubt she will get on with another animal.She doesn't seem too lonely tough, she seems even to enjoy her time alone as much as her playtime with me. She frightened the 15 kilos cat of my friends while they took care of her, and she is also a dutch dwarf:D:D

More experienced will come after me...but basic needs answering first:

Is your girl neutered??

An unreturned female and baby male could have a litter when the male is ready this varies on breed but my nderstanding is about 12 weeks.

A young female and unneutered female would potentially be a bad match as they will both have hormones that is going to cause agreession.

I would suggest getting your female neutered, allowing to heal and hormones go etc then attempt to bond with an already natured male bun - following bonding principals

Don't introduce straight away or there will be babies or a nasty fight. I'm not sure when males can impregnant a female but I would never take that chance just because he might seem too young. They're rabbits and their share their wild cousins need to breed for survival but domestic buns don't need this. Is she spayed?

A boy/girl combo is the best and easiest. It would have to be somewhere neutral to bond them too, if you plonked some random hormonal rabbit into her territory she isn't going to like it one bit. It needs to be done slowly and properly.

If your bun isn't spayed then have her spayed (the health benefits were more appealing to me than finding one of my singles a friend straight away. 80+% of female rabbits = uterine cancer by the age of 5 although I believe it can be younger) wait 6 - 8 weeks before attempting a bond with a neutered male in a small neutral area. Her set up would need disinfecting too. But don't put them together as it will only end badly.

Also, I would try and rescue a rabbit as they are neutered and vaccinated before begin rehomed. If you took on an un neutered male you would have to keep them separate until he is old enough to be neutered and then wait 6+ weeks for hormones to die down too. And whilst it pains me to say this, your friends accidental litter may have a whole host of expensive medical issues as the parents medical history might not be the best (i.e dental issues etc) so it might not be something you would want to do.

:wave:

Last edited:
Im not sure but when my Dee was neutered, i was told by the vet that he was over-developed for his age and that it was lucky that Tallulah didn't get pregnant. :shock:

I've owned my rabbit Roo for a whole year now and she seems to be perfectly happy with my/her own company. She has a massive two tier hutch, a courtyard and a rabbit run all to herself. However a friend of mine has just had a litter of baby bunnies born and its got me wondering whether she could do with a rabbit friend. However, shes quite boisterous and I'm not overly sure after having all that space to herself shes going to take to another rabbit very well.

My friend has offered to let me try out one of her little ones and see whether Roo accepts but I have a couple of things I'm unsure about. Would Roo be prone to bullying the baby because she is older? Shes only a dutch dwarf but she would be a year older. Would she prefer the company of a male or female rabbit? I've heard 2 girls can fight but would male bunny be able to mate at 10 weeks or would I need him neutered straight away before I introduce them?

Also, I wouldn't be able to get a separate hutch so would have to introduce them straight away. What would be the best way to do this? I could possibly split the hutch into 2 levels but they wouldn't be able to see each other.

If anyone could help answer any of the questions I would really really appreciate it!! :D

hi
re the separation, when the rabbit is ready, you could split the hutch into 2 and then let them see each other by splitting the run up. There are cheap ways to do this for example buying a second hand baby play pen that is flexible and you can put in the run. maybe even free from freecycle.

Re the rabbit i would only add make sure the new companion is roughly the same size and age

hi
re the separation, when the rabbit is ready, you could split the hutch into 2 and then let them see each other by splitting the run up. There are cheap ways to do this for example buying a second hand baby play pen that is flexible and you can put in the run. maybe even free from freecycle.

Re the rabbit i would only add make sure the new companion is roughly the same size and age

Size and Age isn't bond dependant. I would only look to bond around the same age so they can grow old together, it would be upsetting for 7 year old to bond with a 1 year old...them fall in love the. You would have a bereaved bun on your hands.

As has been mentioned your first step really is to get your existing girl spayed if you are considering getting a friend

Back