• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dizzy's plums - WWYD

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
leave in situ or off to the plum fairy?

Link is to an RSPCA bunny, complete with testicles, available for rehoming

https://www.bleakholt.org/lancashire-animal-sanctuary/adopt-a-small-animal/

For what its worth I wouldn't adopt him as I wouldn't need things (testicles) complicating what could be a difficult bond anyway & nor could I cope if something went wrong with him having surgery he's coped so long without. Really interested in others thoughts though

For what its worth I wouldn't adopt him as I wouldn't need things (testicles) complicating what could be a difficult bond anyway & nor could I cope if something went wrong with him having surgery he's coped so long without. Really interested in others thoughts though
Tough one, I'd speak to them more I think, try work out if there's any other reasons they've come to this decision.. But ultimately if its just eh age then I'd probably have blood done and have him neutered personally [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

As this is all theorectical and personal to my situaion....

If there are no other health reasons not to neuter, he would be off to the plum fairy here. As I wouldn't take him on as a solo rabbit, he would have to be neutered to bond with somebunny else. It also gives a chance to check his teeth, ears, etc.

If he was to remain as a single house bunny and didn't spray, I might leave him intact - but that isn't my current setup, and I've not come across an entact rabbit who didn't spray.

I would be inclined to leave him as he is, hopefully somebody wants a single, older Bunny. It's good that they pair their Rabbits off before rehoming. I am not sure I agree about him living with a spayed female. I tried this once but he wouldn't leave her alone.

Aww so many lovely bunnies there :love:

Regarding Dizzy, I wouldn't be able to give a definite opinion unless knowing the circumstances and also seeing how Dizzy behaves unneutered.

So, if he was to be rehomed as a single bun, no I definitely wouldn't neuter unless he showed that this wasn't ideal for him. I would have to think long and hard about deciding to neuter at that age regardless, because of surgery risks.

If I wanted to rehome him as a partner to an existing Doe, then it would depend on a couple of things. One whether I thought the Doe would put up with any unwanted attention and two whether the fact that he was living with a spayed Doe would make his hormonal state worse. I think I would then in either case decide that he wasn't an ideal match.

If after a full work up including a full blood profile he was deemed to be in good health I would get him neutered and get his teeth and ears checked at the same time. A 7+ year old Lop is very likely to have some Dental issues and possibly ear issues too.

Then he could have a Bunny friend as I guess he has lived alone for 7 years :cry:

The oldest Buck I have had neutered was 10. He had a testicular tumour. He sailed through the op and lived for almost 3 more years.

Older Bucks I have adopted from ARC and Bobtails have been neutered aged 9+ too. All were absolutely fine :)

Last edited:
I'd definitely see if they've done blood tests and see why they've made that decision. They may not have a particularly exotic vet to consult.

I think if all was OK I'd go for plum removal for his longterm health. He sounds perfect in personality!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Thanks all :) good replies . i'm not applying for him but trying to get more insight into why they aren't neutering. That is the same RSPCA we got Joey from, Boo's was much more on the ball

I really hope Dizzy gets a nice new owner who will safely have his plums away & bond him to a lovely girl. That won't be me sadly! I'm not in a position to take on a bunny that will be expensive from the outset, he needs to be under 5 & insurable. Even if I had the money I wouldn't want Boo to wait for ops & hormone settling - thats gotta be 3-4 months more lonely time. I certainly wouldn't put him with a female as he is, I know it could go ok but somehow doubt it.

Omi;7290921[B said:
]Aww so many lovely bunnies there :love:[/B]

Regarding Dizzy, I wouldn't be able to give a definite opinion unless knowing the circumstances and also seeing how Dizzy behaves unneutered.

So, if he was to be rehomed as a single bun, no I definitely wouldn't neuter unless he showed that this wasn't ideal for him. I would have to think long and hard about deciding to neuter at that age regardless, because of surgery risks.

If I wanted to rehome him as a partner to an existing Doe, then it would depend on a couple of things. One whether I thought the Doe would put up with any unwanted attention and two whether the fact that he was living with a spayed Doe would make his hormonal state worse. I think I would then in either case decide that he wasn't an ideal match.

I know right, lots of lovely bunnies -all so young though

Albert looks like he is laughing - I bet he's a real fun bunny (I'm sure wildies have really high energy levels though so another mismatch, just saying I like his face) Zeus too

Age should be no problem with a confident vet.

When I got 7 year old Percy (Thrianta) last year, Ruth had no hesitation in neutering him

Albert looks like he is laughing - I bet he's a real fun bunny (I'm sure wildies have really high energy levels though so another mismatch, just saying I like his face) Zeus too

Yes, particularly Albert, but yes mis-match :)

We would 100% neuter him. No matter of age, if an otherwise healthy bun came in even 10+ years old he would be neutered.

Also, Hope I’m not out of turn here but if you’re looking for an older male I know of one who is 6+ years old currently looking for a home. Please message me if interested.

Back