• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

DIY rain cover - easier than you think

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
My rabbit aviary is down the side of my house, one side is against the house, one attached to the shed, one running alongside the fence (with a gap of about 1ft) and one facing towards the garden. Although it's fairly sheltered and the roof is covered in plastic the whole run gets absolutely soaked when it rains :roll: Obviously when you build your own, or have someone else build your set up you can't find a standard rain cover for it. I thought it'd be really tough to make my own but it was very simple and surprisingly cheap :thumb:

You will need:
Clear pvc fabric (or shower curtains if you want to pay the high P&P from america) I brought 2m from Dunelm Mill - cost £5.38
http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/clear-pvc-50543#5022834010401
Eyelit Kit I brought mine from Dunelm Mill, they come in different sizes and colours, don't go too big or too small. I chose 5.5mm - cost £4.15 (I think!)
Cup Hooks these are found in the frame hanging/picture hook section - cost £1.60

Measure out your fabric, cut it so that you have a little bit of excess on all sides somewhere between 1 and 2 inches. Next work out how many eyelets you will want. I have 9 across the top, 9 across the bottom, 1 half way down on the left, half way down in the middle and halfway down on the right.

Grey is the overall fabric size, red line indicates the size you are covering, the gap between the 2 lines is the excess. The pink indicates the eyelets (get them even not like in my drawing ;))
2rylvrk.jpg

Fold over the excess so that you are placing the eyelet on double thickness. If you don't the eyelet just cuts straight through the fabric rendering it useless. Save a little bit of fabric for the middle. For the eyelets at the side, you can either leave all the fabric there and fold it as you have done the top and bottom or you can cut it away leaving tabs, like this. Using the kit you brought and the hammer, attach the eyelets. First you use the kit to make a hole, then you use it to attach the eyelets, it's very simple but can take a little while, don't be afraid to hit it hard :thumb:
2wf21c1.jpg

Right, rain cover made! Now to fit it :thumb:

Grab yourself a pen, a hammer and a nail, and your hooks (and maybe a pair of pliers). Hold your cover where you want it and make a small mark in the middle of the eyelet, this is your guide line. Once you've done that, grab your hammer and nail and make a pilot hole where you're placing the hook. I screwed the hooks in by hand, using the pliers right at the end to tighten it.

You're done! Add a bit of string through the top eyelets, you can then roll it up when not using it OR just take it off :thumb: I'll upload photos of mine when I've fixed the bit of my aviary that I've damaged :oops:

Last edited:
So would it be strong enough to go over the top of an aivery that is exposed on three sides (one is attached to a shed)? Why did you make it double at the edges? Sounds good but I didnt quite understand the instructions :oops: Atm I have a tarp (with eyelets in) covering about 2/3 of the aivery but it leaks a bit so I want something strong and waterproof. This does seem like a cheap option.

possibly yes, it's similar strength wise to tarp I'd say. You need the double thickness because when you attach the eyelets you're making a hole in the fabric and then hammering two bits of metal together, I found that it cuts through the fabric if it isn't double thick :wave:

possibly yes, it's similar strength wise to tarp I'd say. You need the double thickness because when you attach the eyelets you're making a hole in the fabric and then hammering two bits of metal together, I found that it cuts through the fabric if it isn't double thick :wave:

Ok. Thanks. I have been wondering about how to make their run a bit more waterproof. Thanks for the great idea.

How did you fix the plastic to the roof without cracking it and without letting rain get in to the holes?

the aviary door stops where the plastic is rolled up :wave:
1017245_10152018726770558_2117537458_n.jpg

I honestly have no clue how he did it without cracking it but there are special screws for the plastic which stop the rain getting in

those little black blobs at the top are the screws, they're essentially like a plug over the hole :) rain still comes in through other places but much less than it'd be without the cover and the roof :lol: I wish I had thought of this when I still had a hutch and run, everything used to get soaked :roll:

Thank you so much for this. I bought some windows if my runs of eBay, but have now followed this and managed to make them much cheaper myself. Soon all the buns runs will be ready for the rain.

I buy cheap venetian blinds from Ebay (about £10 for a 5ft one) and attach them to them side of my full-height aviary. They are permanently rolled down and then the slats are either open if it's good weather or angled down/completely closed in bad weather. I even managed to get one in a dark brown mahogany colour to match the shed :thumb:.

Back