• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Destructive house rabbit?

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
I am not home right now (see this thread HERE) but am calling home regularly to check on the status of the animals. Everyone is getting along fine. The trio are acting as if it was meant to be all along, the cats are just being "the cats" and the fish tank, I presume, is ticking along as usual.

But... Athena is being naughty. Even prior to all of her abscess troubles, she's been a house rabbit (for the record, her abdomen is being monitored and apparently feels fine - but I can't wait to have a feel for myself). But she's driving my mum to her wit's end with her destructive behaviour. Of course, I don't know precisely what Mum means by "destructive" - aside from the fact that she nibbled a towel she wasn't meant to nibble and has been helping herself to various foods that she isn't meant, but still.

We can't let her totally free range because she chases the cats. They are terrified of her (especially Ajali, my big ginger/white tomcat). I assume this is due to territorial behaviour? I've always believed as such - especially because she's a doe.

I tell Mum that it's because she's lonely. Would that be the right kind of assumption to be making? Would getting her a buck companion help ease her troubles?

Mum wanted her to bond with the trio (Elphie/Galinda/Archimedes) and move her outside but I am really hesitant to try that: I don't want to risk breaking up the strong friendship they have built. Especially so as it is still early days. But could I try it? Would I be able to tell quickly that it won't work? Would I be able to do it without risking upsetting the trio? Galinda and Archimedes are really chill. Elphie bonded with Athena for all of a month and then fell out over a satsuma. Would three does and a buck even be a sensible idea?!

I know certainly that a buck would be the easier option. But I don't even know if I am right that Athena is "acting out" because of loneliness. I am just assuming things.

Gosh, this is a ramble.

Some rabbits are chewers regardless, but my outdoor pair certainly chew less now they are moved from a hutch/run combo to a much bigger area with a shed and aviary. So more space and more things to do has helped. I'm sure company will give her something to think about. I would be wary of upsetting an existing bond with the trio, although having said that I did bond 2 pairs into a quad successfully.

Back