• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Damaged tear ducts

baileycake

New Kit
My 4 year old rabbit has a longer medical record than me!
She started getting a bit of discharge and was treated with Isathal, it seemed to come back in spring/summer so the vets thought it was a seasonal pollen allergy.
The isathal seemed to stop working so they gave her another kind of eye drop.
The vets had never been keen to flush her tear ducts due to the anaesthetic risk.
Last Aug/ Sept I was again back at the vets and was told if the drops didn't work this time to book her in for a tear duct flush. Booked her in Oct and saw a different vet (vets got taken over so saw different vets last few times) we spoke for quite a while about risk vs benefit and he said he thought her tear ducts were fused due to her reoccurring eye problems but as she was so good he would try to do it without anaesthetic. I was gutted as would have had the procedure done years ago had the vets said so.
He couldn't do it and said she can live like this and to keep wiping her eyes.
I herself she is happy, typical cheeky rabbit personality, rolls in the dry dirt, digs, sunbathed but her her face/cheeks always wet. I wash her with cotton wool pads and warm water then have a baby comb and brush set to brush any sticky bits off her.

I have found a local rabbit savvy vet I am going to take her to for a 2nd opinion but just wondered if any of you have any experience of this.

Yes, I have had a rabbit with blocked / deformed tear ducts. She had a flush a couple of times, and eyedrops. There was no real long term solution for her, but it wasn't that much of an issue. The best option to care for her eyes was another bunny companion who groomed her. He did a much better job than me.

My 4 year old rabbit has a longer medical record than me!
She started getting a bit of discharge and was treated with Isathal, it seemed to come back in spring/summer so the vets thought it was a seasonal pollen allergy.
The isathal seemed to stop working so they gave her another kind of eye drop.
The vets had never been keen to flush her tear ducts due to the anaesthetic risk.
Last Aug/ Sept I was again back at the vets and was told if the drops didn't work this time to book her in for a tear duct flush. Booked her in Oct and saw a different vet (vets got taken over so saw different vets last few times) we spoke for quite a while about risk vs benefit and he said he thought her tear ducts were fused due to her reoccurring eye problems but as she was so good he would try to do it without anaesthetic. I was gutted as would have had the procedure done years ago had the vets said so.
He couldn't do it and said she can live like this and to keep wiping her eyes.
I herself she is happy, typical cheeky rabbit personality, rolls in the dry dirt, digs, sunbathed but her her face/cheeks always wet. I wash her with cotton wool pads and warm water then have a baby comb and brush set to brush any sticky bits off her.

I have found a local rabbit savvy vet I am going to take her to for a 2nd opinion but just wondered if any of you have any experience of this.

It could be that the primary cause of the blocked tear ducts is elongated tooth roots. The tooth roots become too long and press on the nasolacrimal duct (tear duct) preventing them from draining. This condition can only be diagnosed by taking skull radiographs, see bottom right image

Zamrmau.jpg

The condition is much more common in brachycephalic Rabbits (flat faced Rabbits) such as Netherland Dwarfs and Mini Lops, amongst others

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/charities-unite-to-highlight-brachy-health-issues/

https://news.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=210&Id=9320273&useobjecttypeid=10&fromVINNEWSASPX=1

This may mean that the ducts are going to be permanently blocked and as Shimmer said, the condition will be chronic and it will need to be managed rather than cured. Dental treatment may also be required.

Some additional information here , the medical term for 'runny eyes' is 'Dacryocystitis'

http://veterinarymedicinejournal.usamv.ro/pdf/vol.LVIII_4/Art16.pdf

Hopefully the more Rabbit Savvy Vet will be able to provide your Bunny with diagnostics and a treatment plan for the future

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies. She does live with another bunny.

I was going to ask the other vet about x rays as it has never been suggested before 😔

Back