• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cube housing

Leesa

Warren Scout
Hi, I'm getting a pair of mini lops soon. I currently have a large cage - I think the ferplast 140, but it's not ideal as doesn't have the door for rabbits to jump out, so have been considering other options (espescially in case they don't bond at first or I need 2 cages before they are neutered). They will have the run at least 1 large room when I am at home, but want to use a cage etc for when I am at work. I have been looking at the cubes can can clip together and have seen these on amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pet-Cage-Run-Play-Pen/dp/B004SXSER6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top I'm not yet sure whether they are a good price but was thinking how many packs I'd need to make a really good space for them using 2 tiers.

My question is how high is a mini lop when it stands when fully grown? - these are 36cm tall so I'm thinking it might need to be a double layer of cubes at least in some places. I'm thinking I'd at least need 2 packs.

Thanks!

Unfortunately none of the Firplast range are big enough for rabbits - even though they are advertised as rabbit housing. The minimum hutch recommendation is 6 x 2 x 2 - and with a run attached.

If you have a look at the indoor housing section, you wil get some good ideas. A lot of people use a very large dog crate and then make a run using the cubes.

That's also partly why I'm looking into the cubes. Thanks, I've looked through the posts, but still need to know whether I would be best with 2 cubes high most of the way through or just 1 (in order to get more out of it length ways) - obviously still with some space (ie 2 high) to ensure they can stand fully. If they don't reach 36cm standing fully then it would allow more room for running around (ie I can make the surface area bigger). I would put a 'lid' on if it was 1 high, but maybe not need this with 2 high. It maybe that the cage could form a feeding area with the cubes attached as a playing / running space.

Puppy pens make good cages too. I have them for my guinea pigs now (the rabbits are all outside). Waaaay cheaper than cubes too.

Yep, I would reccomend puppy pens. I had buns in puppy pens for most of last year. They have their own rooms now :love:

My mini lop Coco is very small and I would say stretches up higher than 36cm when she wants to.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

I used the cubes but even at 2 high Fluffy would jump out as though it was no effort at all, leaving her poor sister stuck in the pen on her own. Funny thing was Fluffy also used to put herself back in the pen before I came home until I caught her out one day, ever since then I just let them have the run of the living room but I still used the cubes as a barrier for the TV cabinet so they can't eat all the wires

Thanks, I was thinking 1 cube high with a roof, but after reading your replies I think I'll try 2 cubes high (or 3 if they can jump high!) without a roof whilst they are little and once litter trained and bonded etc I'll try and give them the run of the lounge and use the cubes to hide wires. It's so annoying trying to hide the wires - I previously bought a really good TV cabinet from Ikea (as I had a rabbit at the time to stop him getting near them) which hides all the wires, but now it doesn't fit into the recess in my new home - maybe time to invest in a smaller one! I also only have 1 working phone line in the spare bedroom (runs through the dining room into the lounge at the mo) so have a wire trapsing throughout the flat at the moment - might have to see if can work internet wirelessly (and sky) so they can have the dining room to run about through too. any tips on wires would be gratefully appreciated!

I've had those cube things for years and always found them amazingly versatile. You can use them for penned in areas, and interesting things for the rabs to jump on/through as well as living/sleeping areas.

I've used and reused mine in loads of ways and never regret getting them. You can also pack them up and take them in the car if you need to block off an area (if you're taking buns on holiday like I do :D )

Wonder if they have any cheaper second hand?

I've had those cube things for years and always found them amazingly versatile. You can use them for penned in areas, and interesting things for the rabs to jump on/through as well as living/sleeping areas.

I've used and reused mine in loads of ways and never regret getting them. You can also pack them up and take them in the car if you need to block off an area (if you're taking buns on holiday like I do :D )

Wonder if they have any cheaper second hand?

I found them slightly cheaper at Wayfair (with free delivery if buying 2 sets or more). Not really sure where i could find them second hand - any suggestions?

Tried those and freecycle & freegle but nothing :( - thanks anyway!! I've ordered 40 (2 sets) to start with from Wayfair, they had a 10% off code avaliable, so cheaper than ebay, don't think their half as cheap as what they have been in the past judging by previous posts but oh well, as long as they do the job! Will keep an eye out for more offers to enable me to expand if necessary!

Tried those and freecycle & freegle but nothing :( - thanks anyway!! I've ordered 40 (2 sets) to start with from Wayfair, they had a 10% off code avaliable, so cheaper than ebay, don't think their half as cheap as what they have been in the past judging by previous posts but oh well, as long as they do the job! Will keep an eye out for more offers to enable me to expand if necessary!

When they were first released as a cheap storage option they were cheap as chips. People realised they were awesome as small animal cages and then sadly the manufacturers caught on and the prices rocketed :evil: I think that was really mean!

When they were first released as a cheap storage option they were cheap as chips. People realised they were awesome as small animal cages and then sadly the manufacturers caught on and the prices rocketed :evil: I think that was really mean!

That's sad, looking through all the past posts it looks like they used to be avaliable from Wickes, B&Q, Argos etc, now they seem a lot harder to find.

I've had cubes when I had indoor rabbits, very useful to adapt to any space, I did mine in several different ways..great to separate rabbits too (when they fought like mine did). A few words of advice, you need cable ties, the buns can knock them easily and they fall apart easily and also my buns can jump 2 high easily! Oreo could even jump 3 so I pegged a sheet on top!
You can also make doors, you can just see in the third picture..I made a flap with cable ties and the bottom slots into the connectors at the bottom.
If you're building levels, make sure you lay something so their paws don't go through and get stuck. I put old carpet and a sheet to make a platform.

Here's a few things I did..

CIMG0982.jpg

doublerun.jpg

Old thread...I have been building this for Oreo for the last 4 hours as he just doesnt keep still, he is a 'jumper' and sprints everywhere - anything he can jump on he will!! So I thought I would build something into his NIC cube that he could jump about on..
Here it is - 3 levels and 200 cable ties later!!!!

CIMG1256.jpg

CIMG1261.jpg

CIMG1282.jpg

CIMG1269.jpg

CIMG1279.jpg

CIMG1280.jpg

Thanks, I've ordered 300 cabl eties on your advice! I'm thinking a second level would be good, was thinking some sort of plywood / chipboard etc maybe topped with lino etc so it could be wiped down.

Connectors

I seem to be running low on connectors during my build stage (although I am using some to hide TV and phone wires at the moment, which I'll be able to use, does anyone know if there is anywhere you can just buy a packof connectors? I bought the Safco cubes, so not sure if all connectors fit these or not. Thanks!!

Back