• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Completely new to rabbits

budley95

New Kit
Hi,

I'm a complete newbie to rabbits. My boyfriends aunt has kindly given us 2 of the French lops that she's bred.

They're both boys, are 6 months old and are called Diablo and Albert.

Diablo can sometimes chase Albert, so they're both going to be castrated to stop any fights as they get older.Diablo is also the piggy of the 2. He was the least friendly but after lots of grooming and the odd treat he seems to like me now! Albert on the other hand is the friendliest bunny ever that loves a cuddle and doesn't need any persuasion. He's also likely to be found chasing a willow ball round the kitchen. Before he kills it within a week.

Any top tips for a newbie? At the moment they're kept on shredded paper and have a 2 storey cage they go in whilst we're at work and have the run of the kitchen from 5-7am and again from 530-1030pm. They have hay to nibble on all the time, have rabbit Royale muesli twice a day, always have water, have willow balls, knawing blocks and treats scattered all over their cage and get groomed 3 times a week each and get cleaned out once a week. We're working on the litter training, but Diablo is struggling a bit with this! I adore these bunnies and want them to live a long, happy and healthy life with me, so any advice on how to do this would be appreciated. Who'd have thought an almost 25 year old would be getting their first pet rabbit!

Welcome to the Forum, I am sure if you hang around you will soon learn lots of useful information.
It might be worthwhile gradually changing the muesli to a pellets as rabbits as can pick the bits they like from the muesli.
The other thing you may want to consider is how much space they have whilst you aren't there. Like you our rabbits have access to a room or two when we are at home, at night and during working hours they have are in a puppy pen which gives them a reasonable amount of room to move around.
We use a under bed storage box as the litter tray, but still have a few stray poos in the puppy pen
I hope you enjoy your rabbits, we certainly do [emoji6]

If your boys are 6 months old, I would think it's time for them to be neutered now. You don't want to be in the position where they start to have serious fights. I would take them to a vet to have them examined to see if they are ready for neutering and also ask about vaccinations, which should also be done as soon as possible. They should have a yearly Combi vaccination against VHD and Myxomatosis and also the new vaccination against VHD2.

Hello & welcome to RU & the joys of rabbit ownership.

They are complex souls & there is loads to learn . I agree with the above advice re neutering & switching to nuggets. My priorities for my bunnies are ensuring they have lots of space & a really natural diet (primarily hay & forage)

If your boys are 6 months old, I would think it's time for them to be neutered now. You don't want to be in the position where they start to have serious fights. I would take them to a vet to have them examined to see if they are ready for neutering and also ask about vaccinations, which should also be done as soon as possible. They should have a yearly Combi vaccination against VHD and Myxomatosis and also the new vaccination against VHD2.

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

Neutering:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/neutering28807.pdf

Vaccinations:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/campaign_updates/ROWinter15page32-34V3.pdf

The VHD2 vaccine:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?456446-RHD2-Vaccine-*UPDATED*-16th-Sept-2016

Regarding the vaccinations, the usual myxo combo vaccine protects against myxomatosis and VHD1. The newer VHD2 vaccine protects against VHD1 and 2. Both are recommended annually except in high risk areas, where six monthly is preferred x

Back