• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Burgess Boredom Breaker Dandelion Sticks

OK I've caught up now...I was thinking it meant change the descriptions to say it didn't contain egg...which wouldn't make any sense. But obviously it meant change it to say it's not suitable for rabbits. Sorry, having a dizzy day!

Got a further reply after prodding them to get their website changed. They forwarded me a response from the manufacturer who claim they are perfectly suitable. I will share the post here later when I have the appropriate technology to do so.

I plan to forward the email to RWAF as it's not good that pet food manufacturers know so little about rabbit nutrition. It's an absolute joke.

So here is the response

"Egg is perfectly acceptable to feed to rabbits and guinea pigs in strict moderation. Egg is a good source of beneficial fats and whilst it contains noticeable levels of LDL (bad cholesterol) it’s now understood that it also contains enough HDL (good cholesterol) to negate the bad. Some vets actually recommend egg being added to create a weaning mix for orphaned youngsters. We really only use egg in our sticks and one or two other baked products, and in a 60g Dandelion Stick the percentage of egg is 5.5%. So two guinea pigs eating one stick between them a week would each only consume just over 1.5g!

The egg is used in part as a binder. Other companies use honey and even edible glue. We believe egg is far better than either of these two alternatives. We understand that as Guinea Pigs and Rabbits are herbivores then some pet owners may want to avoid egg for ethical reasons (or honey or glue!) so we do offer two other sticks Cornflower & Daisy and Sunflower & Chamomile which not only don’t use egg but are also grain-free.

Our supplier uses a freelance graduate animal nutritionist to approve and work with them on all their products: Dr Stephan Dreyer, Managing Director of Dr. Dreyer GmbH, Limburgerhof: Consulting Society for Animal Nutrition and Animal Husbandry in Limburgerhof.

So in summary it’s wrong to say that egg (in strict moderation) cannot be fed to rabbits. In fact it could be argued that the limited amount of egg that would be eaten by a pet from offering one of our sticks occasionally would potentially be less harmful to the pet in the long-term than all the processed cereal starch that most pet rabbits are eating in their daily portion of extruded pellets.

Of course it’s true that rabbits are ‘strict’ vegetarians in the wild, but we are not talking about wild rabbits, but instead domesticated rabbits, and just as with all domesticated animals what they eat in our care will not be identical to what they eat in the wild for any number of reasons. But just because it’s not the same it doesn’t automatically make all of these foods unsuitable.

However, I can appreciate that from an ethical point of view some people, especially those who are vegan themselves, won’t want to offer their pet foods from animal sources. That’s no problem and is entirely their choice, but it’s a choice either way that they should also allow other individual pet owners to make for themselves.

So from our point of view we will continue to use a limited amount of egg in a few products until either:
a) We find a better alternative. And I still maintain egg is better than honey or EVA/PVA glue.
b) Someone can produce real evidence to that the minimal amount of egg we use is harmful to rabbits/guinea pigs."

They haven't even bothered to address the other rubbish in there which I pointed out was unsuitable

Wow. Sorry but I didn't even bother reading after the first sentence, clearly have no idea on rabbit nutrition (even after it's been explained to them!). What a load of rubbish!

Back