• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny slight sore hocks i think?

Bunnie2020

New Kit
Hi im kind of new on here so ill see if this works and posts haha.

So at the start of this year my bunny Reggie had slight sort spots at the back of his legs by his feet (Sore hocks) and they were slight. He doesn't like being picked up so I wasn't used to it but I needed to get his nails cut at the vet so when I took him the vet looked and said well the hair as grown back over so don't think its anything serious. So I thought ok must have been a slight thing maybe from his litter tray. So I change his litter tray every other day so he isn't sitting in it all the time and he has 3 in his cage and he is out all day from his cage and stays In it overnight.

He is an indoor bunny so I get him out in the garden when the weather is nice and then apart from that he is in my room most of the time.

So I hadn't noticed his red spots again and his fur is fine. So when I pick him up now to brush underneath and check his nails I checked his legs and when I moved his fur back I saw some red spots under his fur on his legs again. They were quite red but no weeping or cracked and the one looked slightly very slightly dry. But when he hops around I cant see it by just looking I physically have to move his fur away when I pick him up to see.

What do you think I should do? I have some sudocrem I could use but im not sure if its serious as the fur is covering them and I get him out all the time and most of the time he sleeps :lol: for instance now lying under my bed just sleeping haha. On an evening he runs round a bit more.

Thanks for your help anyway :)

Firstly the images on here may be helpful to look at

http://www.cunivetservice.com/docs/SoreHocks.2013.pdf

If Bunny spends a lot of time on carpet that can cause fur loss over the hocks as carpet is usually quite abrasive.

Some breeds are more prone to sore hocks, especially Rexes.

Without being able to see your Rabbit's hocks I cant say if I think there is a problem or not. But if you are concerned then I'd contact your Vet again. Sore hocks are often a secondary symptom of another mobility problem.

Some additional information here :

https://www.hallamvets.co.uk/2018/08/06/pododermatitis-in-rabbits-sore-hocks/

Thanks for replying!

So he does stay on my carpet but what could I do put blankets where he sleeps? And the pictures definitely don't look like hisl, he has his fur!

Thanks for replying!

So he does stay on my carpet but what could I do put blankets where he sleeps? And the pictures definitely don't look like hisl, he has his fur!

A small callous under full fur is relatively normal :)

For a Rabbit with sore hocks covering carpet with cotton sheets is a good option that many people use.

Okay yeah because like I said before his hair was missing now its totally covered. I have messaged my vets and they may arrange a phone call consultation and I can talk to them and see. Im just going to check him daily. Ive just washed some of my dogs blankets which she doesn't use so im going to place them under the bed where he sleeps on the carpet!
Thanks for your tips

Okay yeah because like I said before his hair was missing now its totally covered. I have messaged my vets and they may arrange a phone call consultation and I can talk to them and see. Im just going to check him daily. Ive just washed some of my dogs blankets which she doesn't use so im going to place them under the bed where he sleeps on the carpet!
Thanks for your tips

Try and get a couple of photos of the callouses to email to your Vet :)

Hi

So I've just picked him to check his feet and they look the same. I looked at his front paws and j dont know if this is normal or not. I've been cutting his nails so they arent long and under his nail like underneath the actual nail they are quite red lump things not sure if this is normal on rabbits?

He is a dwarf lionhead so has a lot of fur so hard to get a photo and even look at it properly but I was trying and the one looked like a blister especially I'm not sure if that's just his nail bed or what? So I'm going to see if the vets call me tomorrow to discuss. I cant even take photos it's best to see them in person.

Hi

So I've just picked him to check his feet and they look the same. I looked at his front paws and j dont know if this is normal or not. I've been cutting his nails so they arent long and under his nail like underneath the actual nail they are quite red lump things not sure if this is normal on rabbits?

He is a dwarf lionhead so has a lot of fur so hard to get a photo and even look at it properly but I was trying and the one looked like a blister especially I'm not sure if that's just his nail bed or what? So I'm going to see if the vets call me tomorrow to discuss. I cant even take photos it's best to see them in person.

I think the only way you'll obtain reassurance/advice is for the Vet to actually see your Rabbit. Good luck and I hope all goes well :)

Yeah I know. It's the weekend now so I'm gunna call on Monday! I just didnt know whether rabbits nails were pink underneath?

Back