• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny safe hutch paint

carrots' patch

Alpha Buck
Hello :wave: I've had one of my 2 storey bunny hutches for about 3 years and its getting a bit tatty and leaky in places. Can anyone suggest any hutch paint/treatment which is safe for bunnies? I've checked some labels but trust recommendation more than profit making companies!
I also don't have a spare hutch so how soon could I put Tulip bun back in the hutch when treated?

Many of the wood preservatives are safe for pets WHEN DRY.
Check if it says pet friendly on the packaging.

I use Ronseal Timbercare(country garden) 1 coat application which states on the front of the tin-safe for use with plants and pets.

It dries very quickly-especially on a warm day- half an hour or so? ( it says on tin that it dries in 1-2 hrs)

Its best to keep the bunnies well out of the way(in a run?) when you are painting as one bunny nudged the paintbrush and had to have her nose washed to get the paint off!:oops: (its water based so it does come off)

You can get it in different colours- I have brown green and blue.

sue :wave:

Thank you for the very quick replies!
Will have no problems keeping her away - open hutch and poof! bun is gone round the garden and will never willingly return to her hutch. Don't fancy trying to wash her nose!
Quite fancy some nice colour - will now ponder in B&Q for hours and annoy OH with indecision :lol:

Cuprinol Garden Shades and Cuprinol Heritage Shades both say they are safe for animals. I use the brown one.

Cuprinol..

I adopted a new bunny (Willow) & shes been inside as the weathers not been to good, but today iv painted her a hutch outside 2 storey with cuprinol blue paint & it looks fab so she will be in it tomorrow when im sure its nicely dried..:) :wave:

just thought I'd mention that you should try to get an oil based paint - we found this out after painting our shed with cuprinol garden shades which is water based (and expensive!) so we have to give it another coat with somethig else anyway :roll:

If you add some cooking oil to the wood preservative it will make the rain run off it. I done this many times with normal wood preservative and it works fine on hutches and fences.

I've used Wilkinsons own brand "colour your garden" water based, pet friendly paint in "Willow". I've now done 5 hutches, a wendy house and a run in it. It's not expensive, very easy to use (water based), dries in about 20 mins and comes in some nice shades. Comes in two sizes, this is the larger one, the other is about £6.50 to buy and would be plenty for one 6ftx2ftx2ft hutch.

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Exteri...ko-Colour-Your-Garden-Willow-25l/invt/0241915

The smaller branches don't stock this but you can order & pay online and have it delivered to any store for pick up :D

I've watched the water run off it in beads so seems to do the job well :D

I've used Wilkinsons own brand "colour your garden" water based, pet friendly paint in "Willow". I've now done 5 hutches, a wendy house and a run in it. It's not expensive, very easy to use (water based), dries in about 20 mins and comes in some nice shades. Comes in two sizes, this is the larger one, the other is about £6.50 to buy and would be plenty for one 6ftx2ftx2ft hutch.

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Exteri...ko-Colour-Your-Garden-Willow-25l/invt/0241915

The smaller branches don't stock this but you can order & pay online and have it delivered to any store for pick up :D

I've watched the water run off it in beads so seems to do the job well :D

I have just done Pickle/Pootle's hutch/run in a blue shade from Wilkinsons... very nice paint to use and dries very quickly..

Have the willow colour paint to do Twinkle/Sparkle's hutch next hopefully over the next few days..

Back