• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny bond separation preparation

Lolabuns

New Kit
I have a heavy hearted situation I need help with.

My ex and I had two buns together. My Lola is a minirex about 6yrs old and Taz was his bunny, lion head almost 3 years old. They have been bonded just over a year now. I moved to Germany and my ex asked to keep the rabbits (we are still good friends btw). I thought this was the best situation for the bunnies since he was there for Lola’s upbringing and it would keep them together with out the risk of long travel and quarentine.

Now he has been offered a promotion that requires him to travel 6weeks to 12 months at a time. Not ideal for any pet owner. So now we are faced with rehoming. It’s proving to be difficult to keep them together. I am able to arrange for Lola to be with my family for the next half year until I can safely move her to Germany with me, but unfortunately they can not take Taz as well. They helped with raising Lola for her first three years with us, and still have a bunny proofed area in the house for her, but plan to travel to fix up some land we own for up to a month. This means bringing her or having my brother be a sitter during this time. They said they can handle one bunny but at the moment not two.

We might have found a home for Taz, but again they can not take Lola. We are continuing to look for an option that allows them to stay together. We have about one month to figure everything out until my Ex leaves for his first destination with his new promotion. My concern is that we can’t keep them together.

How do I handle, or go about, breaking the bond so that they will both be okay, if it comes to that? This is not something we want but we are limited on time and want the best situation for them that we can find, which means we may have to separate them.

They have been separated for shorter durations in the past when each of them needed a surgery, and the bond wasn’t broken and there was no issues during the time of separation. I’m not sure if this information helps though...

As I said,we are still working towards trying to keep them together, but right now I need to know what I should do if that isn’t an option we are able to find. I know bunnies can die of heartache and mourning if things aren’t done properly. Unfortunately the only information out there I’m able to find is about the death of a bunny, not the separation of one. There is a lot about bonds broken and then remaking them, but I haven’t found any insight about if it’s just broken and reconnecting isn’t an option and what to do next. Any insight is greatly appreciated as we continue to find the best solution.

Could I suggest you get in touch with some rescues in the area and see if they can help you by taking both. Perhaps a donation for their care that you would have spent on keeping them?

Separating a bonding pair is going to make them think the other has passed away but without being able to say goodbye it's likely to be very tough for them. I'm sorry to say in my opinion it's very cruel.

Sometimes the effects aren't seen for a week or two but a grieving bunny can literally just give up and pass away.

Two buns are usually less work than one as they entertain each other, could your one of you or your families really not take both?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

What is the reasoning behind them saying they can take one but not two? I agree with the above, that 2 are easier, they keep themselves entertained and happy so need/can cope with a lot less interaction, and are less likely to develop unwanted behaviours.
But I'd also agree with reaching out to rescues asap, because then they can not only stay together but also have backup if they ever need to be rehomed again. Even if it ends up being something like a Pets at Home rescue, they would still be kept together and happy.

I agree two buns is easier than one and I don’t want to separate them. That’s to a lot of help from many people I was able to show my family what would happen if separated and the grieving process and able to prove two is better.

Their only experience was with one bun. Lola needs a lot of attention and affection so they figured two buns is double that even though I explained otherwise. Once they saw all the information I was being sent about the grieving process of a lost bun they started to reconsider.

I also looked into rescues yesterday and saw some foster programs after posting this. At the time I didn’t know that was an option. I started planning a foster home and I’m happy to say my family decided in the end they want to be the foster parents to both buns!!!

So my buns can stay together and I’ll be able to pick them up this year to bring to Germany with me.

I agree two buns is easier than one and I don’t want to separate them. That’s to a lot of help from many people I was able to show my family what would happen if separated and the grieving process and able to prove two is better.

Their only experience was with one bun. Lola needs a lot of attention and affection so they figured two buns is double that even though I explained otherwise. Once they saw all the information I was being sent about the grieving process of a lost bun they started to reconsider.

I also looked into rescues yesterday and saw some foster programs after posting this. At the time I didn’t know that was an option. I started planning a foster home and I’m happy to say my family decided in the end they want to be the foster parents to both buns!!!

So my buns can stay together and I’ll be able to pick them up this year to bring to Germany with me.

great news, i am so relieved :)

Back