• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies moulting in December?

Bunny Lovely

Young Bun
Hi all,
Just noticed over few days buns were looking a bit scruffy, especially ShuShu. Was able yesterday to at last get to stroke ShuShu to see that she is moulting
This morning was the first opportunity they both allowed me to stroke them with my hidden brush. This for a good amount of time, especially QiQi. They are both moulting the same amount. A lot!

Doesn't seem to be any issues with poops or with eating, so seems just started moulting again. They seem healthy in all other ways so far.

Just finding out if this is a usual thing with indoor bunnies at this time of year (I keep temperature low for them). Also any pointers to brush very resistant bunnies. Other than this morning, I am able to trick them by them thinking I'm stroking them. I can do it while when giving a treat. It is always on their terms though.

The little brush I use is rubber and a finger style that I can hide. Any other thoughts or pointers are welcome. Thanks 🤗

I wouldn't be concerned about the timing of the moulting. From my experience it seems that bunnies can moult at any time of the year. My two live outside and have only recently stopped moulting, after both doing so for several months.

Brushing is important. It's usually easier to do this if you distract them, as you are finding. And of course the more you do it, the more they will accept it and not fear it.

As you're probably aware it's necessary to keep a watch on them during this time, especially for pooing and eating, as they will ingest each other's fur, as well as their own, whilst grooming. Best to make sure they have plenty of fibre to help with good digestion too.

I wouldn't be concerned about the timing of the moulting. From my experience it seems that bunnies can moult at any time of the year. My two live outside and have only recently stopped moulting, after both doing so for several months.

Brushing is important. It's usually easier to do this if you distract them, as you are finding. And of course the more you do it, the more they will accept it and not fear it.

As you're probably aware it's necessary to keep a watch on them during this time, especially for pooing and eating, as they will ingest each other's fur, as well as their own, whilst grooming. Best to make sure they have plenty of fibre to help with good digestion too.

Thanks Omi.
They like their hay, thank goodness and do eat some greens and herbs, but very fussy, so this is good. I will keep an eye on things and try and brush them evey treat time and will see if they will let me brush once a day while in the same place as they allowed me today. 🙂

Back