• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies in bedroom........housing help

Milo2015

Warren Scout
Hello,

I have had Penny (1) and Milo(4 in December) since April. They are neutered and well bonded. Milo is the more dominant and Penny is pretty much food motivated and not interested in climbing.

Milo has made it on the desk, book shelf, my bed, the guinea pig cage, in the guinea pig cage, on my bedside table. Generally anywhere he isn't supposed to go. Now up to a point this is ok, I have done some re arranging to limit the amount of places he can climb/ jump. It was fairly pet proof for the guinea pig so wires are covered already. It is all a learning curve as they were meant to be outside and house rabbits along with guinea pigs and dogs is taking some coordination.

My big problem is that Milo wees on the bed. he doesn't always do it, only sometimes, normally with a change in routine - for example I am on holiday from work at the moment so he did it yesterday.

I could get the metal run in from the garden and block off the bed....but this is going to be a pain for using the room myself and not a good long term solution.

Their routine is as follows,

Morning - out in the bedroom for about 2 hours, nuggets and then in their cage (180 by 70) whilst I am at work - there is no way round this and hopefully it will only be for this winter as I will have them outside during the summer. If any one is in they can be let out in the bedroom but that is rare.

Home from work - let out and have the run of the upstairs. Friday and Saturday they are in the bedroom and not shut in, they do spend a lot of time in the cage - with the hay mainly but both will run like nutters from the bedroom to the bathroom and the spare room and I do find them flopped out all over the place.

I swear Milo knows he isn't supposed to be on the bed as if you go upstairs he jumps off the bed and he only pees when I am not there.....however I can't spend my life in my bedroom!!

I am going to put a litter tray on the bed but I suspect he goes underneath the duvet..........

Does anyone have any ideas how to stop him weeing on the bed? tucking a big waterproof blanket? (have tried incontinence pads but he digs at them......)

I am going to move the furniture round in an attempt to fit a run in............

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/runs_fencing/73280/8_sided/184138
tho I would rather they have more space.
So ideas welcome.

Hiya, sorry haven't really got much advice for weeing on the bed, but hopefully someone will be along shortly to help! But is he fully litter trained?

And do they both use the same litter tray? Maybe this was just with when I had my two, each had a seperate litter tray as my little girl would go anywhere else in the house bar share. As soon as I added a second one she was absolutely fine and used that and to this day.. Has full access to my house but will always wee in there.

Milo sounds a lot like my Maggie. She sits on my bed looking at me, like she is egging me on to tell her off. She'll even give you the run around if you tell her to get down, runs around the bed whilst you are trying to catch her and will then jump down when you have failed. It's like she is laughing at me. :lol: :lol:
But I don't really mind as she doesn't pee on the bed and is really good, although it's a bit annoying when she wakes me up in the middle of the night by sitting on my chest. :roll:

Hershel on the other hand will pee on the bed at the first opportunity he gets. Is Milo able to jump directly onto the bed? Hershel use to get on the bed by using a foot stool to jump up. People on here suggested that I tried a waterproof fitted sheet or duvet cover, the types you buy for incontinence problems or in the hotel industry.

I tried the waterproof fitted sheet and covered my bed covers with it, I would recommend you to get the next size up for your bed. It worked okay for a while but combined with regular washes and Maggie biting it, it started leaking and I had to bin it.

In the end I managed to solve it by distracting Hershel from jumping onto the bed by placing their food tubs along the side and bottom of the bed. I also moved the foot stool to a different location. This seems to have worked and I no longer have to put the tubs along the bed as he doesn't even bother to try and jump up the sides any more.

Last edited:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00W6J0IX2/ref=twister_B00W6J05IK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I think I will get the waterproof sheet - I have enough odd looking stains on the mattress thanks to Milo (that sentence didn't sound good any way I wrote it!)

I will buy the run in the link to give them a bit more space whilst I am at work and not watching them. When I am with them I will take it down and give them their normal space.

Best I can do till the summer.

thanks for the comments and ideas. I was at my wits end this morning. XX

so ordered the run. Then read the reviews. see the flaw in the plan here?

so some one had a rabbit and they chewed out of it in about hour.......so yeah. Guinea pigs have a new run...........

Plan 435A

Use my C and C grids to build a fence to put up in front of the bed. attempt to leave them out all day.

oh and buy the water proof sheet in case.........

Oh dear, the things we do for our buns :shock: there was someone on here who ended up with her bed enclosed by puppy panels, like a cot, and the rabbits free ranged happily in the rest of the room ;)

Oh dear, the things we do for our buns :shock: there was someone on here who ended up with her bed enclosed by puppy panels, like a cot, and the rabbits free ranged happily in the rest of the room ;)

Oh God I can so see that happening!!

I am just never getting a boyfriend am I!

When frosty and snowflake were babies they lived in half my room fenced in by puppy panels. Luckily it was a big room.

Milo sounds like a really great character. Hope younfind a decent solution.

Back