• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding - Not going too well!

We started bonding this morning... We have a neutral hutch (never used by either of them), plus some toys etc in a play pen in the human only part of the living room.

They've been together about 2 hours now. They're quite happy to ignore each other, but Luna seems to have 'claimed' the hutch (just the base, no walls) and Gandalf has claimed the outside bit. They will tentatively sniff each other's noses but then they seem to be chasing and scratching. Obviously we are stopping this behaviour (with the help of the strange noisy vacuum cleaner that they're not keen on). I'm being cautious about stopping them too soon, I'm a bit concerned that I'm not sure what's the normal stuff to figure out who's on top and what's a real fight. Luna has a tiny scratch (less than a half a centimetre) on her nose, and Gandalf has lost probably a small handful of fur.

Do we persevere or would you recommend separating them now? Should we remove the hutch?

FYI. They're current sat a foot away from each other, both facing forward. Luna in the base of the hutch, Gandalf outside. Both falling asleep :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update - I took the hutch out. It was allowing them the chance to be territorial. Bit of fur pulling, but better.

I've only bonded once, so no expert. From everything I read, we decided to start them in a quite small space where they were forced to be near each other. It would be the equivalent of only having them in a bath size space. The risk with having a hutch and run, is that one rabbit will claim an area as territory and they'll fight the other one to protect it.

We also limited their first date to around 30mins, as we wanted a slow approach. I don't know if it's worth separating them now and bringing them back together tomorrow for another few hours?

I was just about to advise taking out the hutch - and then saw that you have! I think that is a good move!

Cross posted, but this is a good step I think. I hope someone who is more experienced will be along soon!

I've just seen your other thread. I didn't realise she hadn't been spayed. Personally I wouldn't attempt bonding until she has been neutered and recovered.

We weren't going to originally, then on opinions from here and advice from the vet, we thought we'd try it.

Lesson learned.

Back