• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Four males together that have escaped in into the garden.

Ambience

Warren Veteran
This morning i found sunny and paws along with shadow and stripe had escaped out of their runs into the rest of the garden. The are still out happily hopping about together.

I wonder if because they have been in runs about 1 ft apart if they can have bonded from this distance or do i need to go through the normal bonding process rather than just join both enclosures up together?

They are all playing nicely but they have got quite abit of enclosed space to run around at the moment. Any suggestions? I consider this the start of the bonding process so just thought i may as well continue it today, since it seems abit fated :)

Normally one group gets out, never really two groups at the same time. I do allow them to dig out if they want to as the rest of the garden is enclosed so it isn't a risk them being running about.

Any ideas on the best suggestions for bonding right now, or has this already occured accidentally?

Thanks xx

If you had planned on bonding them together anyway and provided you have s suitable sized home ready for them, then I would leave them as they are, if they start playing up, you could reduce their space slowly, perhaps them being near each other previously has helped...good luck :D

My two lived side by side in cages in the house and had free range in the garden. They seemed to be happy enough although never looked "bonded" but after a week or so aggression appeared and we had to bond in a much restricted area but I do think the pre-bond garden time was beneficial if that is of any use.

from reading other peoples experiences, i dont think i'd leave it personally. A fight could occur at any time and are you going to be there to stop it if it does?

Thats an awfully big space to have to monitor if you are going to allow it to happen.

I'd 100% go for the regular bonding technique then clean their areas.

Maybe thats just me.

Thanks everyone. I've separated them and put them back in there own enclosures now. The four males were fine together.

I thought i'd let a 5th male out and although it was all amicable, when he went near the others he seemed to stir up a different response, and fighting did occur- well the start of a fight, so i split him up from them and put him back.

The other four I've separated too, but i believe the bonding by means of being close to each other must have helped.

The fifth bunny i brought to the mix was much further down the yard, so kind of unknown to some degree- i could notice the difference. I can see the dominance of some of the buns and also some of the more submissive ones.

I supervised them at all time since noticing them out, but I'm pretty sure now, this kind of friendship only occurs with buns that are very close to each other in terms of their setups.

I think I'll be sticking with the traditional method of bonding :) Thanks for all the advice xx

Back