• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded pair mounting

carolinej

Young Bun
Hi,
Bit of a story but please bear with me!
I have recently (3 weeks ago) adopted a pair of rabbits from a rescue. They were thought to be 2 females until they went for neutering- one is actually male. They are now approximately 7months old and have apparently always been together.
The majority of the time they are absolutely fine together but intermittently the female mounts the male. She is slightly larger than him which means he ends up pinned to the ground. I have read that this is part of asserting dominance etc.
Should I just let this happen or intervene? Will it stop at some point?
I am not a completely novice rabbit owner, I've just never encountered this before. I've always previously adopted slightly older rabbits who are well bonded.
Any advice greatly received!! Thank you.

If they were recently neutered their hormones could surge for a few weeks before settling.

Good luck with the bonding.

It sounds pretty normal, as long as both rabbits are OK with it. There may also be a bit of chasing and maybe fur pulling, if they are re-establishing their bond. If there are no full-on fights, just leave them to it. They are getting used to a new home and new hormonal status.

Back