• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best Hay Choices Online Help, Please!

HanaGirl

New Kit
Aloha, everyone, my BunBun has gone on a Hay Strike and it's very upsetting. We have very limited resources here on Maui and I've tried everything I can get my hands on for him and he's totally rejecting all of it.
He's only 5 months old, and I give him Alfalfa and Timothy Hay (Kaytee and Forti-Diet brands), and Juvenile Rabbit Pellets. He gets 2 servings of greens a day.

He's loving the Alfalfa, but I know I'll have to get rid of it eventually.
He doesn't eat many treats but he loves apples and some dried fruits and vegetables (I don't offer the dried fruit often).

I know I shouldn't have given him such a wide variety of foods, since he's so young. He did have a problem with too many cecals but that has been resolved as he's gotten older. He poops normally and is thankfully litter box trained.

2 things have changed recently: he's entered puberty (his testicles dropped a couple weeks ago), and as of today he's finally molting (which I thought would never happen) and I can literally pull at his fur.

So back to my question: I'd like to try getting him fresh hay, and I'd appreciate any information and opinions you may have.

He's my first rabbit, I just want what's best for him. He's a pretty laid back bunny, most active at night and in the morning. He likes being loved on (thank goodness) and tolerates grooming really well. He became a little bossy when his nuts dropped, but he hasn't turned into a terror (which I was afraid of). I want to get him fixed so I can bond him.

He's a housebun, his cage is closed only at night and when we aren't home. I've had him since he was 5 weeks old, he's grown quite a bit, but I know he's not eating as much as he should.

Sorry for the story, I just wanted to share any information that might be useful.

Thanks for all your help!

y3y7a8y8.jpg

:wave:.. Hi and Welcome.. He is gorgeous,,,

I am sorry I cant help with online hay supplies as i would be unsure who delvers to you?

Do you have equine places nearby as their hay might be suitable, what about a bit of fresh grass, a little to be introduced at a time though..

Maybe someone else can help?

See ya
fee x

I think I can get BinkyBunny.com to deliver to Maui. I just have to see how much for shipping. The reviews of they're mini hay bale are great.

And I was reading that the Alfalfa Hay is good for young bunnies, so maybe it's not bad that he's just eating that right now.

I just want him to eat the Timothy Hay when it's time to switch him over.

I wonder if zooplus would ship to Maui? I know they ship to most of Europe (not exactly helpful I know but at least it shows they do ship overseas)

There are lots of yummy hays on zooplus!

Part of your problem might be that alfalfa is a much tastier hay than Timothy hay, I occasionally use it as a treat hay and it always disappears in seconds! :lol: your little lad might not be eating his Timothy hay because he knows that there is alfalfa available and he would rather have that :lol: maybe try mixing the two hays and gradually increase how much Timothy hay is in the mix?

Weve just tried out Readigrass and its a big hit with Loona! Looks and smells good! Have you tried the dried herbage stuff? They are very tasty and smell lovely, big selection online even through Amazon or Ebay if not a petshop style site?

This is the Readigrass being chomped on happily!

10665298_658726124247005_6779959421352012616_n.jpg

And this is a Dried Herbage style treat.. Things like this !Might! Help your bun start taking hay since they are super tasty/appealing?

10670176_657706021015682_4882735112868033240_n.jpg

10341982_657749461011338_920902224035448034_n.jpg

Good luck with your bun!

I usually just put the Alfalfa on top of the Timothy Hay. He used to eat both really well and then I thought I was getting old Timothy Hay. The last few bags have been very dusty 😠. Luckily Petco will allow me to return it if he doesn't like it.

And when I mixed the hays together, he'd just pick through to get the Alfalfa, lol.

I'll look at Amazon in the morning for the Redigrass. And I'll see if I can get something from Zooplus.

I wish bunny-keeping was as popular here as in the UK; it's a plus that I can get him fixed for free here. Because a wild rabbit population would ruin the Island.

Mahalo for all your help!

Zooplus doesn't ship to the US, 😣😣.
But I can get the Readigrass from Amazon!

BunBun ate a computer cord last night 😠😠😠 not the power cord, thank goodness, but the thinner cooling mat cord. 😠😠😠

I gave him a bunch of Alfalfa last night before I put him to bed.
This morning he seemed ok, went after some greens and treats, but wouldn't touch the pile of Alfalfa I put in his living room "potty".
I got my husband to buy more Alfalfa and I hope when I get home I will notice some poops.

It just makes me MAD and super scared, when he eats stuff he shouldn't. He "knows" he's not allowed on the table, and I keep my cords out of his reach (most of them, anyway). This isn't even him acting out, he's just an opportunist for forbidden things to eat.

I just hope he's fine. I know this isn't uncommon, everyone I know online has had their bunny eat something really bad.

It's almost like, as long as it isn't outright poisonous, if they can poop out whatever bad thing they eat, for the most part, they'll be ok. But I know a blockage is practically a death sentence, and I'd hate to lose my bun over my negligence.

Back