• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Beano is walking/sitting odd at times UD 21/02

Thank you both.

She has not had treatment for EC nor did she have blood profiles done. I feel awful for saying this but I opted out due to cost, I have just started a second job which is leaving me with no spare time alongside my 'main' job and university to pay for Gordon's ongoing treatment and Beano's metacam, which she has been on since mid January yet it has not made a noticeable difference, but obviously I will and can continue to pay for whatever they need.

I will take her back and get blood tests done to look for EC or any other issues. Her leg issue luckily doesn't seem to phase her.

Liz, I completely understand about time and money being short. You've got so much going on, and as you say, the leg doesn't bother her.

I wouldn't rush into a load of blood tests, and tests for E.C. are expensive and not particularly reliable.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to begin her on Panacur - it's quite cheap and I'm sure your vet would agree. It could perhaps cover some possibilities, but in my bones I'm not sure it's going to address this. Of course you'd have to medicate Gordon at the same time, and I don't know what he would say to that :shock:

I should be a bit easy on yourself, sit back and reflect before leaping into more tests. I know I have to think about the bills before I go visit the vet!

Liz, I completely understand about time and money being short. You've got so much going on, and as you say, the leg doesn't bother her.

I wouldn't rush into a load of blood tests, and tests for E.C. are expensive and not particularly reliable.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to begin her on Panacur - it's quite cheap and I'm sure your vet would agree. It could perhaps cover some possibilities, but in my bones I'm not sure it's going to address this. Of course you'd have to medicate Gordon at the same time, and I don't know what he would say to that :shock:

I should be a bit easy on yourself, sit back and reflect before leaping into more tests. I know I have to think about the bills before I go visit the vet!

Thank you. I do feel bad when I go to the vets asking about how much it will cost, but it is important and I would pay for anything which is likely to help anyway and my vets know this. It is my responsibility to care for them and I have a separate account in case of pet emergencies which luckily is lasting as I have a lot of pets! :lol:

Anyway, I will get my vets opinion on Panacur and hopefully start a course. Yes Gordon will not be happy bless him but hopefully won't have to go with her to any vet trips for now, I know bonded pairs should go together but in this case it's best to leave Gordon at home.

I do tend to rush into making appointments as it is always playing on my mind as I want to know if she is ok :oops:

I hope the next visit goes well.

If things do go further it may be worth speaking to your vets about doing a payment plan? I used to have to arrange these for long standing clients who didn't have insurance etc & it seemed to help them with extra tests etc.

I agree with trying to panacur first & I hope Gordon will forgive you x

The vet agreed a 28 day course of panacur may be helpful for Beano, she's been on it a couple of weeks now and I do think her back legs have improved. This is my only quiet week with work so I've also started bonding her and Jake so he is on a 9 day course too, but if she had EC is there anything else I need to do like disinfecting things? I will be cleaning all their bits with white vinegar anyway for when they are ready to leave the bonding pen/area but should I be doing their current tray again too? I always forget to ask these things at the vets!

The vet agreed a 28 day course of panacur may be helpful for Beano, she's been on it a couple of weeks now and I do think her back legs have improved. This is my only quiet week with work so I've also started bonding her and Jake so he is on a 9 day course too, but if she had EC is there anything else I need to do like disinfecting things? I will be cleaning all their bits with white vinegar anyway for when they are ready to leave the bonding pen/area but should I be doing their current tray again too? I always forget to ask these things at the vets!

Hi Liz :wave:

Nice to hear from you :D

Why is Jake only on a nine day course and not the same as Beano? It doesn't cope with the E.C. parasite - only a 28 day course will interrupt the life cycle.

The received wisdom is that bleaching/ disinfecting/ steam cleaning is necessary on days 21 and 28 of treatment, but to me I would think it far more a priority for them both to be treated with Panacur at the same time. Otherwise Jake, who may be excreting E.C. positive spores, would simply reinfect Beano ...

What do you think?

By the way, I am thrilled you have seen an improvement in Beano's legs :D

great you have seen some improvement. i don't know much about ec other than i remember bisc being tested for it when his symptoms started. but have heard the info above aswell with regards to cleaning :wave:

Hi Liz :wave:

Nice to hear from you :D

Why is Jake only on a nine day course and not the same as Beano? It doesn't cope with the E.C. parasite - only a 28 day course will interrupt the life cycle.

The received wisdom is that bleaching/ disinfecting/ steam cleaning is necessary on days 21 and 28 of treatment, but to me I would think it far more a priority for them both to be treated with Panacur at the same time. Otherwise Jake, who may be excreting E.C. positive spores, would simply reinfect Beano ...

What do you think?

By the way, I am thrilled you have seen an improvement in Beano's legs :D

I agree with MichtyMax

Also thrilled that you've seen improvement :)

Thank you :)

The vet told me Jake only needs a 9 day course because he isn't showing any signs of EC :? I can buy another tube online and do a 28 day course though, I didn't realise he needed a long course too as I didn't think to question the vet although it wasn't my usual one.

Back