• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Barley rings...

plom3

Young Bun
Hi everyone!

Our little Kiki is tiny, and has been since we got her at two years old. She has put on a bit of weight since we got her, and eats like a horse (mainly hay) but is still quite bony. The receptionist at my vet who has many rabbits suggested barley rings to help her put on a little weight. I have ordered some and now have a bag, but I am unsure how many to give her per day / week. Is anybody able to recommend? She is a mini lop and weighs just under 1kg if I remember correctly.

Thank you!

It's mainly breeders I've heard of using them but I did a search and a few people from here seem to use them too, you should only give one/two a day though

Is she spayed? And did the vet give you any other possible reasons for the weight loss? Maybe worms or something?

Thanks for your advice! Yes we got her spayed a while ago. She hasn't lost any weight in the year we have had her, she has put it on. Before we had her she had e-cuniculi which is probably something to do it, but she is very small anyway in size. The vet hasn't mentioned her weight so is not concerned it was just the receptionist, who breeds and shows buns. It would be good to get a bit of meat on her but I don't want to make her poorly by over doing it. I will go with one a day and see how we go!

Spenser had these once in a mix - loved them but as he is quite a chunky lad I've never looked into getting more! Hope the barley rings help Kiki. I've heard of pro-fibre pellets being used to help rabbits keep their weight up. It might be worth asking your vet if this would help Kiki.

Back