• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby bunnies

Katex

Warren Scout
Hey there

So our two baby french lops have settled in as far as I can see but I have a few queries.

Bunny 1 (Gatsby) is extremely outgoing, much more so than any bunny I've seen. He jumps on your knee for sniffs and cuddles, and is a proper escapologist, he can squeeze through any gap. I think he is very mischievous in nature but very sweet. He bounds out into the run as soon as the door is opened and is always ready to play. He had a good go at my mint plant yesterday when my back was turned locking a gate!

Bunny 2 (Daisy) is causing me a little bit of concern. She is healthy, her eyes are clear and she is alert, and doesn't seem bothered or scared. But….she doesn't come out of the hutch without being coaxed or carried out, she sits under the ramp or in her pop up tent (so hiding), but she sits flopped out so seems relaxed. I hardly see her hop around, as she's always sitting still. She isn't panting or anything like that, it's just she seems so quiet and withdrawn. However, when I do carry her out of the hutch, she is happy to sit and be stroked and will be hand fed, so she's not completely withdrawn, I can get her attention with a toy or a bit of food, she just won't appear without being ushered or carried.

They both sleep together and groom each other and seem to like each other a lot (in fact Daisy is happiest when Gatsby is around)

They haven't really eaten a lot, either. They're on the same food as when we got them and I'll gradually change that to pellets. They are drinking and seem to be 75% reliable on peeing in the litter tray, there's only been a few accidents, which is fine.

My concern is Daisy. I don't know whether I'm seeing how outgoing Gatsby is, and comparing her a little unfairly to him? She does seem too quiet for a baby bunny tbh though.

I'm assuming they're male and female and not neutered?

Why is this relevant to the post??? I have a male and female bunny that I got as babies and I had Levi neutered as soon as possible at 3 months and Daisy spayed at 5 months. I did not split them up at any point and I did not end up with babies. It is possible to have baby buns together a long as people are responsible and know what they are doing re. Neutering, although I do understand why some people choose to separate for 6 weeks post neuter. I do think it is down to personal choice though. As it happens the OP has posted quite extensively about her bunnies before she got them asking for opinions on housing etc, and I think it is safe to assume she has done her research re. Neutering. I really wish people would stop jumping on people about things like this.

To the OP. First I love the names :) (I have a daisy too!) I would say that if Daisy is flopping in the hutch/run it is safe to assume she is feeling ok. They are just arrived in a new home and she is probably just adjusting. Because Gatsby is so outgoing it makes the difference more obvious but it will probably just take Daisy longer to come out of her shell. When I first got my two daisy seemed a right scaredy cat, but now she is definitely the one of the two with the biggest attitude. Levi is my snuggle bunny. :) as long as Daisy is eating and drinking fine then I wouldn't worry :)

And finally. we need pictures!! :)

Why is this relevant to the post??? I have a male and female bunny that I got as babies and I had Levi neutered as soon as possible at 3 months and Daisy spayed at 5 months. I did not split them up at any point and I did not end up with babies. It is possible to have baby buns together a long as people are responsible and know what they are doing re. Neutering, although I do understand why some people choose to separate for 6 weeks post neuter. I do think it is down to personal choice though. As it happens the OP has posted quite extensively about her bunnies before she got them asking for opinions on housing etc, and I think it is safe to assume she has done her research re. Neutering. I really wish people would stop jumping on people about things like this.

To the OP. First I love the names :) (I have a daisy too!) I would say that if Daisy is flopping in the hutch/run it is safe to assume she is feeling ok. They are just arrived in a new home and she is probably just adjusting. Because Gatsby is so outgoing it makes the difference more obvious but it will probably just take Daisy longer to come out of her shell. When I first got my two daisy seemed a right scaredy cat, but now she is definitely the one of the two with the biggest attitude. Levi is my snuggle bunny. :) as long as Daisy is eating and drinking fine then I wouldn't worry :)

And finally. we need pictures!! :)
Pics on their way shortly :)

Yes they are unneutered male and female but they're only 8 weeks and the vet checked them over and ws happy with them being together - I asked him if we should separate and he didn't seem concerned (however Gatsby is already booked in :) )

Daisy is still quiet, but I have had her out of the hutch and she is very happy to sit on our knee and be stroked, I feel perhaps she's just a bit lazy and enjoys sitting and taking it all in! She clearly is a bit shy as she got off my knee before, but was hesitant to hop over my leg to get into the hutch again and it took her a few hops and "paws up" on my knee before she plucked up the courage! She then sat in the door of the hutch and flopped again - a proper back of the head on the floor, flat flop! I've since had to move her as she was in direct sun and would have been far too hot and she flopped again straightaway in a pile of hay in the litter tray.

Thank you :)

Pics on their way shortly :)

Yes they are unneutered male and female but they're only 8 weeks and the vet checked them over and ws happy with them being together - I asked him if we should separate and he didn't seem concerned (however Gatsby is already booked in :) )

Daisy is still quiet, but I have had her out of the hutch and she is very happy to sit on our knee and be stroked, I feel perhaps she's just a bit lazy and enjoys sitting and taking it all in! She clearly is a bit shy as she got off my knee before, but was hesitant to hop over my leg to get into the hutch again and it took her a few hops and "paws up" on my knee before she plucked up the courage! She then sat in the door of the hutch and flopped again - a proper back of the head on the floor, flat flop! I've since had to move her as she was in direct sun and would have been far too hot and she flopped again straightaway in a pile of hay in the litter tray.

Thank you :)

Awww she sounds just gorgeous! :) I can't wait to see pics :)

My two have been totally flopped out in the sun today too :)

Your bunnies are very sweet, love the pic of Daisy!

Our Daisy is coming on well, she's sat on my daughter's knee for about 1.5 hours, grinding her teeth gently, which I assume is a happy sign :) she's probably just going to take a bit of time.

Yes a rhythmic gentle purr shows she is happy and contented.
A lounder un-rhythmic purr can mean she is in severe pain.
Looking forward to pics too! x

My Daisy (white blue eyes lionhead x) grinds her teeth very loudly indeed when being handled and when at the vets. Not a tooth pur for sure. I would love to hear a tooth pur of contentment :love:

Back