• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

At Risk Bunny

I am new here and I'm in desperate need of advice. I know of a young rabbit that I feel, is being neglected. She is being kept in a metal, topless run during the the day, with a plastic table top placed over the run, to stop her from jumping out. The run itself is quite small, not enough room to run about in and it is placed on a tarmac path. Whilst the bun is in there it has no access to water or hay but on occasion, a carrot. At night she is put in a two foot by one foot, two tier hutch which is far too small as she cant stretch out in it at all and it is open on three of the four sides, with no extra covering to keep the weather out. The run is also not sheltered and she has no company at all from animals or humans. A few days before Christmas, we had gale force winds and a lot of rain in the night and she was left out in her run with no shelter or food/water/hay. Fortunately, the neighbours (social housing for the over 50's) saw she was in trouble and got her hutch, put it in their purpose built gazebo and kept her there during the horrendous weather. It was fortunate also, as the owner was going away for christmas and left her there with the residents. I can only assume that, had they not taken her in, she would have been left in her hutch all weekend. Myself and my partner went to check her out and bought her lots of hay, treats and toys and some much needed cuddles. Health wise, she seemed ok, but she isn't getting enough fibre as her poos are black and have no hay in them and the pellets she is being given are just the cheap nasty variety. Before this incident, we had already reported her to the RSPCA but we have yet to hear anything and she is now back with her owner. One thing we do know is, she was purchased for when the granddaughter comes round, then they take bunny in to "play." The rest of the time she is left alone, outside on her own. She has a wonderful nature and is very loving, but short of stealing her away in the night we dont know what else to do. She doesn't move all day unless someone comes near, just sits there on the cold hard floor, unable to sprawl out. Any ideas on what we can do?

Do you also have an opportunity to speak to the owners? They may be very misguided and not know they are doing wrong. If you cannot speak to them, perhaps a leaflet through the door is another option?

Is the bunny being kept by someone in the over 50's housing? Does it have some kind of warden that you could approach?

If you cannot get anywhere then I think I would call the RSPCA again and follow up again until a visit is made. It sounds like at least 4 of the 5 welfare needs are not being met (mention the 5 welfare needs when you report it), and that this bunny is at immediate risk in this cold weather, if the hutch is open on 3 sides.

Last edited:
Hi, thank you for your response.

We did, at first, think they were simply not aware of how to keep a bunny. But, after the situation with the rabbit being left out in that weather, we feel it is more willful ignorance than anything else.
We had considered putting a leaflet through the door but something needs to be done quickly, as one night of below freezing temperatures could potentially be fatal. I am going to follow up with the RSPCA, but honestly, I don't hold much hope with them.

Unfortunately, the owner is not a very nice bloke and I personally would be very wary of approaching him. Maybe I can convince someone else to do it. The Warden could be a good idea, hadn't thought of that.

Thank you.

~Jack

My Nan lives in over 50s housing and I'm sure that is not something that would be allowed. Please do contact them like someone else suggested.

If not, then I'd be inclined to take someone with me to speak to the person, in quite a firm way.

I'm sure you aren't allowed pets in over 50's housing. I agree possibly take someone with you and try to speak to him again if not could you not offer to take her "off his hands"??

I was in a similar situation and that's how we got our 2 bunnies

Just a quick question, I thought that in England at least under DEFRA the 2006 regulation didn't apply to rabbits?

The 5 welfare requirements are not enforceable so while mentioning I don't think the RSPCA will have the power to act.

I'm sure you aren't allowed pets in over 50's housing. I agree possibly take someone with you and try to speak to him again if not could you not offer to take her "off his hands"??

I was in a similar situation and that's how we got our 2 bunnies

You're allowed pets in my Nan's council owned over 50s block. :wave:

Well it appears the RSPCA have visited at least. So I will ring them tomorrow for an update. Hopefully they have demanded better for her & we will see some improvement. If not, then I we will have to consider the whole issue again! Thanks for your help guys. It is nice to have people to talk to. :)

Well it appears the RSPCA have visited at least. So I will ring them tomorrow for an update. Hopefully they have demanded better for her & we will see some improvement. If not, then I we will have to consider the whole issue again! Thanks for your help guys. It is nice to have people to talk to. :)

Hi did you hear back from the RSPCA? If you dont feel their response was satisfactory, the RWAF has some letters that you can print and send to your neighbour.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/Dearrabbitownerwinter.pdf
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/Dearrabbitownersummer.pdf

Could you offer to adopt the bunny and allow their granddaughter to come for cuddles when she visits?

Hi did you hear back from the RSPCA? If you dont feel their response was satisfactory, the RWAF has some letters that you can print and send to your neighbour.

Hi there! We haven't heard back yet, so I was planning to ring them in the week. As far as I can see, they have at least moved the hutch somewhere a bit more sheltered, but she is still alone and doesn't have much exercise room.

Thanks for the links; those letters look really good. :)

Keep ringing the RSPCA they can be awful on updating please let us know what's going on

Thank you for looking out for this bun

Didn't want to read and run and so pleased your trying to help. I think I would have to sneak and steal her, the good overall reasons behind its outweighs the bad. I would worry every time a gust come along as once I've seen or know something like that I can't stop worrying! Keep us posted. The fact she's still so friendly after being treated that way is heartbreaking x

Well we have been checking on her once a week since the RSPCA saw them, but there has not been any substantial change, unfortunately. The hutch is slightly more sheltered and covered at night but they have now put carpet under the open hutch bottom, and it is saturated in pee! She still has no hay or toys and not enough straw to keep warm and they have removed the little toy we left her. :( Honestly, at this point, after them having multiple people talk to them including the RSPCA and still no substantial improvements, I don't think they are going to get any better. We are still very seriously considering 'liberating' her, and soon. She is still such a sweetie and gets sooo excited when we sneak-up to visit. It's heartbreaking!

so sad when people ignore all the advise they are given and insist on treating animals badly . .

I know what I would do!!!

Back