• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Arthritis update/Other health issues

MoonHare

Young Bun
Little guy on Metacam and Gabapentin now, as well as Milk Thistle for liver. Had check up today and he’s lost quite a bit of weight this month, so waiting for results of blood tests to know whether that’s “just” muscle loss or something else. He’s happy in himself, if a little unstable, and eating well. Blood results probably next week now; will update when I hear. It’s hard seeing them getting old, but hopefully can help him age gracefully.

Last edited:
Thanks for updating. I hope that the weight loss is just muscle wastage and also that the blood test results show no concerns. Do you think the Metacam and Gabapentin are helping with his mobility?

Yes, helping them to age gracefully is a very good aim.

Thanks both :love:

Yes, Metacam and Gabapentin definitely helping - he was just on Metacam but we added Gabapentin a while ago. It's hard seeing him slowing down but he seems well in himself and yes, just want to keep him comforable.

Paws crossed for blood results on Monday.

Bloods show liver and kidney issues, plus he’s anaemic. Booked in for ultrasound on Thursday. I’ve been weighing him every day since we came back and it’s not dropped further which is good at least.

Hi my bunny had similar issues- he’s on gabapentin, tralieve and metacam. He lost a load of weight, and had a few tests too. He’s got an ongoing respiratory issue

I’ve found Emeraid is useful for keeping weight up x

Bloods show liver and kidney issues, plus he’s anaemic. Booked in for ultrasound on Thursday. I’ve been weighing him every day since we came back and it’s not dropped further which is good at least.

I am sorry to hear that the blood test results are worrying. I hope the U/S sheds some light on what the problem is. Did the Vet advise stopping Metacam or reducing the dosage given the blood test results ? Metacam is very harsh on the Liver.

I'm sorry about the blood test results. Hopefully, the scan will identify what the problem is. Sending him vibes for Thursday.

I'm so sorry his blood results aren't good :( lots of vibes for him, I hope the vets goes well

Hi my bunny had similar issues- he’s on gabapentin, tralieve and metacam. He lost a load of weight, and had a few tests too. He’s got an ongoing respiratory issue

I’ve found Emeraid is useful for keeping weight up x

That's interesting, thank you. Hope your bunny is doing well.

I am sorry to hear that the blood test results are worrying. I hope the U/S sheds some light on what the problem is. Did the Vet advise stopping Metacam or reducing the dosage given the blood test results ? Metacam is very harsh on the Liver.

Thank you. No, she's not mentioned that. He's been on Milk Thistle long-term for quite a while, though, and had some liver issues even before starting Metacam. The Metacam definitely hugely helps his spinal pain/stiffness. As you say, hopefully the U/S can shed some light on what's going on in there. They're very rabbit-savvy vets so I know he's in good hands.

Thank you all for the vibes :love:

Surprisingly, scan showed liver has not got worse. Bladder also good (no sludge returned), but mineralisation in one kidney. So, we add Fortekor to his daily meds and go back in a couple of weeks for a check up (if no change before). Definitely about ensuring a high quality of life now and he’s still eating very well which is good.

Surprisingly, scan showed liver has not got worse. Bladder also good (no sludge returned), but mineralisation in one kidney. So, we add Fortekor to his daily meds and go back in a couple of weeks for a check up (if no change before). Definitely about ensuring a high quality of life now and he’s still eating very well which is good.

I'm glad the scan didn't show anything worse & only one kidney calcified. Keep on eating well little man:love: Do you forage for him?

Pleased that the scan results were not too bad. and it's great that he's still eating well. Hope that the Fortekor helps his kidney.

I'm glad the scan didn't show anything worse & only one kidney calcified. Keep on eating well little man:love: Do you forage for him?

Thanks J&B :love: No, don’t forage as he’s on a low calcium diet so not sure what he could have (suggestions welcome!)

Pleased that the scan results were not too bad. and it's great that he's still eating well. Hope that the Fortekor helps his kidney.

Thanks Omi :love:

Thanks J&B :love: No, don’t forage as he’s on a low calcium diet so not sure what he could have (suggestions welcome!)

Thanks Omi :love:

When Frances Harcourt-Brown was our vet she told me in consult dandelions are high in calcium but most foraged plants you'd feed are balanced rather than low or high, Please run it by your vet though. I recently googled the reputed medicinal benefits of stuff I forage and put into categories. This is only stuff I regularly get, I know Milk thistle is good and you've already got him on that. Check out eatweeds.co.uk I'd be inclined to try and get some herb robert, ash leaves, sticky bud / cleavers and hawthorn

Wonderful news!
I recall reading fresh greens that have some calcium are not as much of a concern as dried forage because the water content will help to flush the calcium from the body.
Others may be able to quote the source, perhaps FHB?

When Frances Harcourt-Brown was our vet she told me in consult dandelions are high in calcium but most foraged plants you'd feed are balanced rather than low or high, Please run it by your vet though. I recently googled the reputed medicinal benefits of stuff I forage and put into categories. This is only stuff I regularly get, I know Milk thistle is good and you've already got him on that. Check out eatweeds.co.uk I'd be inclined to try and get some herb robert, ash leaves, sticky bud / cleavers and hawthorn

Thanks J&B :) Will see what vet says at next appt.

Wonderful news!
I recall reading fresh greens that have some calcium are not as much of a concern as dried forage because the water content will help to flush the calcium from the body.
Others may be able to quote the source, perhaps FHB?

Thank you bunny momma! Will look into it.

...and thanks IM; only seem to be able to quote two people. Amazed he likes the taste of Fortekor as it doesn't smell very nice!

Back