• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are my rabbits bonded enough to put together overnight?

I have never owned rabbits before and have been slowly pre bonding my 2 year old male rescue Rex with my 6 month old female Russian dwarf for the past 4 months. They have been in runs/hutches next to each other, eating together on opposite sides of their enclosures, swapping over etc. Both are spayed. Over the last week they have been meeting daily in the kitchen (neutral territory) and have been doing great, ignoring, sniffing, sharing food, a bit of nipping from the male but my girl is stubborn and not phased by it. So far today they have been together for 5 hours but have not groomed eachother but have been tolerant of eachother. Both seem to want to be groomed but I think they’re having a bit of a stand off over who is in charge, but there is no aggression. Do I need to wait for one to groom the other or is it safe to put them in together tonight?

I don't have any experience with this, I've never bond a rabbit before. But many of the forums are experienced in this matter, they will help you. :)

I have never owned rabbits before and have been slowly pre bonding my 2 year old male rescue Rex with my 6 month old female Russian dwarf for the past 4 months. They have been in runs/hutches next to each other, eating together on opposite sides of their enclosures, swapping over etc. Both are spayed. Over the last week they have been meeting daily in the kitchen (neutral territory) and have been doing great, ignoring, sniffing, sharing food, a bit of nipping from the male but my girl is stubborn and not phased by it. So far today they have been together for 5 hours but have not groomed eachother but have been tolerant of eachother. Both seem to want to be groomed but I think they’re having a bit of a stand off over who is in charge, but there is no aggression. Do I need to wait for one to groom the other or is it safe to put them in together tonight?

If you keep separating them then it will make the bonding process much longer. It is usually better to put them together in a small neutral area where you can supervise them 24/7. There is some good bonding advice here

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/ownership/bonding-rabbits/

On another note, I have never heard of Russian Dwarf Rabbits, do you mean Netherland Dwarf ? :)

Yes both neutered. I chickened out last night in the end and put them to bed in separate hutches. They are in the kitchen again today so I’m hoping after spending a whole day together they can go overnight in the same hutch together.

Back