• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

anyone used briar dawn vets oldham?*gr8 vets+ches has eyedrops*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
my piggy chesney has a bit of a watery eye and some dry crust underneath it aswell. he has also coughed a few times. he is ok in himself, eating drinking toiletting normally etc, he hasn't lost any weight, but i just want to get him checked out just to make sure it isn't the start of anything.

anyway, i am phoning my usual vets in the morning (ashleigh vets, whalley range) to see if aidan is working. if he isn't though, i was going to try briar dawn vets in oldham and wondered if anyone uses them and who they think is the best vet for seeing guinea pigs.

thanks.

Last edited:
roll on 9am when i can ring briar dawn and get an appointment! time is standing still!

piggies have been ok and ches has sneezed only once but his eye is still watery.

praying it isn't the start of a respiratory infection. but at least if it is, i have caught it early.

please please please don't be an uri.

just phoned and got an appointment for 11.15am. they seem nice on the phone there so hope they are when i go. this is the fourth vets i'm registered with now! :lol: will always see aidan at ashleigh vets first choice, but then hopefully if this one is nice, i can have this one for if aidan isn't in. and the other two, i hope i don't have to go to them again!

that vets is lovely, and the staff are aswell. would recommend it. :)

anyway, chesney now has eyedrops, once a day for eight days. she thinks it is viral rather than bacterial, as neither have any problems with their breathing etc. it could be the start of an uri, but for now she doesn't want to prescribe antibiotics, and i just have to keep a really close eye for any symptoms coming up, and get them straight back if they do for treatment.

bit embarrassed because ches needs to lose weight, he is too big for his frame so i feel really guilty now. :( thought he was ok weight. but can get it down a bit now i know.

also, turns out i have been trying to clean his ears when there isn't any wax there!!! the 'wax' i was seeing was actually pigmented skin! how stupid am i! :oops: but that means he has clean ears so that's good. :)

so it went ok, just got to do chesneys eye drops and he should be ok.

both of them were so well behaved. they also had a nail trim aswell.

really happy with that vets, going to take the pigs there if they ever need to go as it isn't that far from me. wish i'd known it was there as i go all the way to whalley range with the rabbits!!! i can't change vets now though as i am very confident in aidan who they see and he knows them now and what their history is with the treatment etc.

anyway, so that's about it.......... :)

Back