• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another rabbit found

Lord Trellis

Mama Doe
I was on my way to buy some food and a sick looking rabbit came running down the curb and ran under a fence into somebodies garden. It looked like a Cali bunny but in poor condition. I didn't manage to capture it and there are foxes about. I wish I never saw it because its going to be on my mind now.

I'm going to go back out with some rabbit droppings and a bit of rabbit food to see if I can save it from the foxes. If I do manage to get it, I will have to take it straight to a vet asap I wouldn't be able to keep it but at least it will be off the street and get some treatment.

Any other ideas how I could entice the rabbit?.

I would knock on the doors of where you last saw it. Also look on local social media sites in case someone is looking for it. Local rescues might offer advice / help to catch it. You usually have to corall a loose rabbit with eg puppy panels. They are very difficult to catch, especially on your own. Live traps may be an option but need checking several times a day (ask local rescues - RSPCA, cat, rabbit, dog rescues may have some).

Rabbits that look ill are usually very poorly. I certainly wouldn't put it anywhere near other pet rabbits.

Good luck.

I did think about not bringing it home just encase it infects my other bunnies. I never managed to catch it. I went near the garden where I last saw it and a neighbor said they were watching it from a window. Nobody managed to catch it and its still out there.

I have my suspicions that the rabbit had probably been dumped or set free and it may have been living out there for a good number of days possibly a week, maybe it was an unwanted Christmas present or something and its been feeding off all the trash out there. Who knows what its been eating.

I have thought to about calling the RSPCA to let them know there is a sick looking stray bunny on the loose but I'm not confident they would do much, if anything at all. I'll have another wonder about tomorrow and see if I can see it again.

If I did manage to get it, it will go straight to the nearest animal hospital or vet.

The RSPCA are better placed to catch it than you - they have done it before, have equipment, etc. They can also treat it / keep it in isolation.

Rabbits are sometimes stolen / released by people who don't own them, or it may have escaped. They are not always dumped / released on purpose. Have you checked local social media to see if anyone is looking for it? Someone may be desperate to find it.

Back