• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

All this talk of hutch building is making me want to explore my DIY skills!

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I've seen alot of people making their own hutches on here and i'd really love to do the same. I'm not sure where i would start though. I bought a little home diy kit the other day with all the tools in. I think i'm going to start by putting lino in these new hutches.

How would i do that, just put sealant round the edges once it's cut to size? I thought it was good you can get lino for about £30 a roll, amazing, didn't realise it was so cheap.

Next then, i found some wire mesh from wilkos that would fit a front panel of a hutch. I just need to figure out how to make a frame. I just want to make something simple to start, then expand my learning. So for now my home made hutch wont be anything like the experts on here.

Is it as simple as get the wood, nail it together and u-nail hammer on the wire mesh. What are the easiest joints to start with that a novice could do.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I litrerally would like to make a box with legs, but nothing spectacular, just a test run really.

Thanks,
Ambience x

How would i do that, just put sealant round the edges once it's cut to size? I thought it was good you can get lino for about £30 a roll, amazing, didn't realise it was so cheap.

/QUOTE]

Lino you can get cheap on ebay if you keep your eyes open, might not be the colour of your own choice if you went to the shops today and bought it.

I find it easier to drill and screw wood together rather than nail, mainly cos I'm a bad aim with the hammer and I tend to end up splitting the wood.

I love DIY and have a full tool kit including jigsaw, power drill, cordless screwdriver, and a collection of screws and fittings that I'm always adding to:oops:

I started off with the basics though, but now build my own runs and enclosures, plus I do all the maintenance and building work at the rescue:D

Thanks, how much would it cost for a reasonably comprehensive diy set for making hutches and runs? I'll look into the allied carpet thing. I think i could start with a run shelter then get bigger :)

my hubby used heavy duty staple gun to attach wire mesh when he made the run much quicker just a thought for you :wave: he also used screws rather than nails

as for hutch i wouldnt know where start:oops:::lol:

good luck

Back