• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

All change for Leo

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
Leo has been very much displaced today as part of preparation work for next week. Our bunnies have lived in the kitchen/diner and had free roam of that, plus free roam of the living room when we are about. But with the imminant advent of a new bun next weekend, we have had to look hard at how we can facilitate both bunnies whilst allowing the new bun 6-8 weeks of settling in. Given that she is a bit of an unknown, we felt that whilst our living room would provide a more comfortable place for her with us being in there most of the time, it's also got tv, wires and it could be a potential hazzard for her when she is on her own. So we didn't feel that was fair on her and she needs a safe environment to explore.
The only way we could think would work is to move Leo from the kitchen/diner into the living room and then start afresh in the kitchen/diner for the new bun. It would leave a fresher environment for her with no massively confusing smells, there's nothing for her to get hurt on and she'll have plenty of space to explore and when we allow, she has easy access to the garden and she can see the garden from the window. So the area is cleaned out and I'm going to give the area a good steam clean tomorrow, and Leo's set up in now in the living room. It took several hours of shifting and manoevering but we duplicated as miuch as possible Leo's set up from the placement of the litter area to his sleeping box and food area. He's next to the kitchen/diner doors so he can see out and will see the new bun as she will see him.
But it's thrown him quite a bit. He was very confused at the start, and he doesn't take being moved well. He has gotten used to the routine and it definately unsettled him big time. But a couple of hours later and he's starting to realise that everything is in the same order, just in a slightly different place.
Leo is not a destructo bun and doesn't chew anything or poop in any place except where he should so we know he will be ok in the living room. If needs be, I'll sleep down here with him and my snoring will ensure he knows he's not alone. My snoring ensures the neighbours know they're not alone :lol:.
It's hopefully only a temporary measure and we should hopefully get our living room back at the end of March if all goes well.
Anxious times ahead for us, and especially little Leo, who hoepfully will feel better once he senses and smells a new bunny and because he's not shown any evidence of dominance, we hope that the new bun will not feel territorial in the kitchen/diner and therefore attempts to bond when we are able to, may be slightly easier. But I'm no expert and with my luck, something is bound to go haywire along the way. Anybun got any anti-stress pills they can loan me?
Craig x

Aww bless you all.

I'm sure Leo will adapt with time and it sounds like you have a great set up sorted.

These things never go 100% to plan but I'm sure things will be ok.

Re anti stress I wonder if Pet Remedy works on the hoomans too?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Oh this is great news Craig, Leo is so lucky to have you care so much for his welfare and happiness. I really hope the new bun settles in well, and there are happy times ahead again for lovely Leo, and you and Jan also. This little lady bun couldn't wish for more caring people to look after her xx

It sounds like you are doing all you can to ensure the arrival of your new Bun goes as smoothly as possible. I hope everything goes well. She has a lovely home waiting for her.

Have you tried petremedy on yourself?!
I kind of wonder if she'll be better in the kitchen anyway, gives her more time to decompress and chill out - and I suspect Leo will really enjoy being with you more too! They are such incredibly lucky bunnies :love:

I think it all sounds great :love:I’m sure Leo will soon settle. Fingers crossed for everything to go smoothly. I can recommend Bach’s rescue remedy for stress. I find it helps me in all sorts of situations, if I’m upset, panicky, stressed etc it helps me a lot. Also I find playing relaxing music helps me to get to sleep, we use the Alexa and currently like home spa sounds :love:

Sounds like a well thought out plan that will be the best for all. However I had to chuckle about your snoring being a comfort to him (as one that is married to a warthog snorer!)

Oh this is great news Craig, Leo is so lucky to have you care so much for his welfare and happiness. I really hope the new bun settles in well, and there are happy times ahead again for lovely Leo, and you and Jan also. This little lady bun couldn't wish for more caring people to look after her xx

my thoughts exactly.
best wishes, Craig :)

Back