• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice Please Poppy Been Spayed 3-4 weeks ago becoming aggressive.

Mel D

Warren Scout
Hello, My Poppy was spayed 3-4 weeks ago and has been doing well eating and drinking her scar is completely healed but has had issues with the operation site filling up with fluid which has been syringed twice 5ml each time, now the vet has said leave the fluid there and the body should get rid of it and it should decrease in size which it is, she is training to be a house rabbit is we let her out in the house all day and she goes back in her cage late at night which has been going well, my concern today is since we let her out of her cage this morning she has been very destructive and aggressive, she has ripped all my new carpet up, dug out her corner toilet, throwing things about and she bit my leg when I was cleaning up her mess also biting my husbands trousers and shoes.
Has anyone come across this before as we are concerned about letting her back out of her cage, she has always been a loving licky rabbit that loves attention, but what she has done isn`t like her at all.
Any Advice I would be grateful, Thank You

Is she eating and pooing OK ?

How old is she ?

Even though she is now spayed it was only 4 weeks so she may still be a bit hormonal and 'spring fever' could be an issue.

Is she your only Rabbit ?

Hello, My Poppy was spayed 3-4 weeks ago and has been doing well eating and drinking her scar is completely healed but has had issues with the operation site filling up with fluid which has been syringed twice 5ml each time, now the vet has said leave the fluid there and the body should get rid of it and it should decrease in size which it is, she is training to be a house rabbit is we let her out in the house all day and she goes back in her cage late at night which has been going well, my concern today is since we let her out of her cage this morning she has been very destructive and aggressive, she has ripped all my new carpet up, dug out her corner toilet, throwing things about and she bit my leg when I was cleaning up her mess also biting my husbands trousers and shoes.
Has anyone come across this before as we are concerned about letting her back out of her cage, she has always been a loving licky rabbit that loves attention, but what she has done isn`t like her at all.
Any Advice I would be grateful, Thank You

A rabbit that suddenly becomes destructive could be a rabbit in pain.

I would report this to your vet (over the phone if necessary) and if she isn't taking a painkiller (Metacam) then I would ask what the vet thought about trying some .....

Is she eating and pooing OK ?

How old is she ?

Even though she is now spayed it was only 4 weeks so she may still be a bit hormonal and 'spring fever' could be an issue.

Is she your only Rabbit ?

Hello, She is nearly a year old, she is pooping and eating ok. the only thing I do notice is that she poops mostly in the morning and the evening not much in the afternoon and I am certain she is a megacolon bunny because her poops are all shapes and sizes quite large dome shape.
I have moved her indoor cage today to the other side of the room so she cannot get behind it to dig up all the carpet and put towels over the top of where she did the damage, she has been not too bad today, hopefully its just her hormones settling down. Thank you

A rabbit that suddenly becomes destructive could be a rabbit in pain.

I would report this to your vet (over the phone if necessary) and if she isn't taking a painkiller (Metacam) then I would ask what the vet thought about trying some .....

Hello, Poppys definately not in pain because she is eating, drinking and pooping normal and usually if she was she would sit hunched up grinding her teeth.
I have 2 other rabbits in the kitchen who are paired up the male called Snowy has been neutered and he is nearly 6yrs old the female is not neutered shes a netherland dwarf and is nearly 3 yrs old.
The male is allowed in the living room with poppy and seems to have paired with her as well, but he sleeps with the un neutered female in the kitchen. I don`t know whether this could be an issue as why poppy is acting the way she does?. Thank you

Hello, Poppys definately not in pain because she is eating, drinking and pooping normal and usually if she was she would sit hunched up grinding her teeth.
I have 2 other rabbits in the kitchen who are paired up the male called Snowy has been neutered and he is nearly 6yrs old the female is not neutered shes a netherland dwarf and is nearly 3 yrs old.
The male is allowed in the living room with poppy and seems to have paired with her as well, but he sleeps with the un neutered female in the kitchen. I don`t know whether this could be an issue as why poppy is acting the way she does?. Thank you

I think you may be right and it's the unusual pairing arrangement you have for your buns that may be doing it. Of course Poppy will be able to smell the unspayed female on the male rabbit and it's probably driving her a bit wild. Emotional pain and not physical! :D

Back