• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Accidental Bonding ... Urgent Help. Do I Keep Together or Separate?

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
I'll fill you in first ...

I have tow buns. Archie: Male, neutered 12days ago. Leo: Male, 11 weeks old, not neutered.

I had Leo out for cuddles when someone in my house decided to let Archie out. Archie decided to run into the room where I had Leo, Leo jumped off my knee and ran up to Archie.

I went to split them immeadiatly but a little bit of licking took place. Please don't shout but I continued to leave them together for around an hour.

First of all there was a bit of chasing, first of all from Archie whose the larger of the two. Archie then repeatedly mounted Leo. But Leo didn't run away. Instead he lay down for him. This continued for a while. Leo then did a full on sideways roll :shock: Never seen him do that before and then continued to lie down whilst Archie groomed him.

Archie then mounted again for several seconds and then did, what I can only describe as a wrestling take down, where he literally jumped and landed on his bum with his feet in front of him ... but still holding onto Leo. Leo just lay there?

They have flopped out and there's been a number of licks but also quite a lot of circling. Leos now started to try and mount Archie but the poor guys too smal and doesn't really get anywhere. Sometimes Archie will let him but most times he'll run away.

Leos now just done a bunny flop and completely flopped out but Archies kind of sat on him in the mounting position.

They don't seem to be fighting at all ... although at one point there was a noise that I can only describe as a bunny type sneeze?

I'm just a tiny bit worried that removing them into their individual cages will ruin this bonding process ... Archies just done a big bunny flop now, Leo went to rest on him and Archie got up ... (sorry got distracted!) ... I did intend to eventually bond them after Leo had the visit from the plum fairy.

Is it advisable to keep them together over night even though ones not neutered and Archie has only just been snipped. Or is the risk of fighting just too high. I really don't know what to do for the best.

I'm actually questioning Leos gender a tiny bit, I know he's still only relatively young but I've not seen any plums yet (Archie had these at this time), plus when I took him to the vets he asked his name and I said Leo. He just raised on eyebrow as he took a look at his bits. I thought it was because he didn't like the name ... but now I'm questioning whether or not he was questioning the sex?

Sorry I know this is a hugely long post. I just really need help. Leos now sat grooming Archie while he's lay down. It's adorable to watch. I just don't know what to do for the best and could really do with some expert advice.

And finally question could it be they are in the stages of bonding now but that's only because Leos hormones haven't kicked in because he's too young?!

Plus I don't have anywhere neuteral to keep them over night. I've actually run out of bedding until tomorrow when I have a visit to the pet shop. So its not like I can put them in a clean cage together I would have to risk it already being scented with one of their scents.

Last edited:
I just had four foot stamps ... five ... from Leo? They both went into their little hidey hold so not too sure what's going on but Archie just sauntered out and started eating. Leo followed and now they're back to mounting.

I'm so stressed!

In my opinion, i would separate until Leo has been neutered. Although it may seem they are getting along now, he has not yet reached full sexual maturity and once this happens may get very aggressive towards archie and you could lose your bond.

Also, when Leo does go in for neutering, they will have to be separated again and you will have to bond all over again.

I'd be tempted to seperate them tonight too, especially as you don't have anywhere neutral to keep them overnight. *but my attempts at bonding haven't really gone to plan so I won't be offended if you don't listen to me!* :lol:

I hope im wrong but do you know Leo is deffinatly a male? im just wondering as i used to breed rabbits :oops: and you say he mounted then landed on his bum?? when rabbits mate the male will "fall off" and what you said sounded to me as if he'd mated :shock: i hope im worng but just letting you know. I hope im not telling you what you already know but males can remain fertile for up to 4 weeks after the snip.

Last edited:
Hey girly, I would seperate. its a tad risky with unsnip'd buns so not worth the risk. Playing together isnt so bad.

In regards to sexing the rabbits i would be a tad furious with my vet if he thought it was a girl and didnt bother telling you. Could you take a picture of his bits and post the on here. Try and get a decent close up view just so we can try and help you in regards to his sex.

* currently bonding two guinea's atm so responds may take a while*

Thank you for all your replies! I decided to separate them last night.

I'll try and get a picture of his bits tomorrow when I've got the day off work. I keep having a check for plums but I can't see any yet, I can't work out if it's a. because he's too young b. he's too hairy (lionhead) or c. he's actually a girl :lol:

... I'm laughing now, won't be if I've accidently got babies on my hands :? I'd feel terrible and like a bad bunny mummy. I didn't actually think about Archie remaining fertile either, think the wine clouded my judgement :oops:

Oh no, I'm terrified now that I've got a pregnant bunny on my hands. Less than 24hours ago I didn't even realise that there was a slight opportunity he could be a she. My mum will kill me. Please can we have lots of vibes that Leo is a boy and Archie is just a gay bunster.

I've just checked Leo. Had a feel of his ... ahem ... bits. I can feel a flap of skin. Can't see anything though since he is just fluff but I'm guessing and really hoping that they're his plums.

Can you not take him/her to the vets and get one of the veterinary nurses to check. urely they wouldnt charge you for this especially if you ring and ask in the first place.

Back