• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

5000 Americans all terrified of handling rabbits

Zarla

Alpha Buck
Very strange thread with over 5k likes. OP wonders why the vets are scared of handling rabbits and they get hundreds of replies about rabbits having fits when they hear noises, everyone knows of a bunny who's broken his own spine, they all draw blood and only know how to bite savagely. Meanwhile all dogs are cute and never attack. Also they are super difficult to pick up even when you've had years of experience???

https://at.tumblr.com/talesfromtreatment/why-are-staff-at-the-shelter-anxious-about/f323w11r4hpo

It's not great if actual vets think that though! I've picked up all breeds of rabbit since I was five and all were fine. If they start to kick, put them down gently. They're not made of glass.

But it says OP wonders why vets are scared of handling rabbits. Have any vets said they are scared or is this just the OP's perception? How reliable is that? Based on the rest of that they say.

I have had quite a few rabbits that were terrified of being picked up. Ruben was completely unhandlable when I adopted him, Tinkerbell was also one that could have seriously injured herself when attempted to be handled. Even Frances Harcourt-Brown said she may need to sedate her before clipping her claws - that's a pretty unhandlable rabbit!

I can't see all the replies (I don’t know if I need the app or just being thick; probably the latter lol) but is it intended to be a bit tongue in cheek? Especially if it's a conversation between a group of vets rather than the general public.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

I can't see all the replies (I don’t know if I need the app or just being thick; probably the latter lol) but is it intended to be a bit tongue in cheek? Especially if it's a conversation between a group of vets rather than the general public.

In my defence with regard to my replies - I was reading it on my mobile phone and I only read the text in the post, I did not see the link to the thread so didn't read it/gain any more context.

In my defence with regard to my replies - I was reading it on my mobile phone and I only read the text in the post, I did not see the link to the thread so didn't read it/gain any more context.
I wondered whether you could read the link & the replies on it. :)

Like I said, I can't see them so it's hard to comment without knowing the context either. But some of them are the kind of things my daughter would say to her work colleagues (she's a vet nurse) or to me if she's had a really challenging day where things just haven't worked out well, even though the team have tried their hardest. I think it's a coping mechanism or release, in some ways, because the emotional toll of the job can be overwhelming for them.

Or I could be totally off track lol and they really are that daft.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

The blog is run by a vet but it's public on tumblr, hence all the engagement (currently at over 7k likes and reblogs). The vet said that she was the only one at her practice who wasn't scared of handling rabbits and got a message asking why everyone was scared and readers of the blog started reblogging/replying with alarmist generalisations about rabbits being more likely to draw blood than cats, break their spine etc. If you want to see the comments click on the icon underneath the post with two arrows.

Last edited:
IMO these vets lack the knowledge to handle rabbits or exotics.
I do not know anyone who is afraid of rabbits.

Last edited:
IMO these vets lack the knowledge to handle rabbits or exotics.
I do not know anyone who is afraid of rabbits.

Exactly! When has a rabbit ever killed anyone, or even inflicted life changing damage. Nor do they all come equipped with automatic self destruct buttons if a vet picks them up.

I have handled rabbits since I was a small child. Gentle confidence and supporting their back legs ... not too difficult!

Back