• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

11 year old rabbit hind leg weakness

aerofine

Warren Scout
Does anyone have any tips for an 11 year old Dutch female rabbit with hind leg weakness?

One side is worse than the other - she falls to one side, sometimes drags herself, lies down a lot.

I don't want to give her meds if I can help it, I would rather not stress her out with having to handle her when she barely tolerates being looked at.

Has she been examined by a Vet ? Hind leg weakness can have different causes. Until the cause is identified then it is not possible to suggest how best to help her. Some causes can also cause pain, so another reason to consult a Vet.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Differentials/paresis.htm

No, he hasn't been to the vet in a while now and I don't want to take her unless essential as it will cause too much stress. I also don't want to be giving her meds as that will stress her out too.

I suspect the weakness is arthritis with her age - she will be 12 in Feb.

In the long term, it sounds much better to take her to the vet. Yes, she will get stressed, but she'll also possibly be able to get treatment. If it's arthritis, she'll be in pain, and she needs painkillers. You can give her medication by putting it on or hiding it in food; it doesn't have to be stressful.

In the long term, it sounds much better to take her to the vet. Yes, she will get stressed, but she'll also possibly be able to get treatment. If it's arthritis, she'll be in pain, and she needs painkillers. You can give her medication by putting it on or hiding it in food; it doesn't have to be stressful.

I agree. If she has arthritis bad enough to cause hind leg paresis she will be in a lot of pain. Rabbits hide pain well, being a prey species. So IMO it is essential that you seek Veterinary attention for her.

I agree with Reader - both about a vet appointment being necessary (& I DO understand how stressful they are for some buns) & also how easy it is to hide drugs in food - metacam, panacur etc are apparently quite tasty - here they are happily accepted on a shreddie. Antibiotics tend to be less tasty & need disguising

As IM more says there are various causes. I've experienced it in my buns too. Both buns had EC - the 2nd was in renal failure. If it were EC the right meds can make a difference . Obv pain relief is really important too

Best of luck

She really needs assessing by a vet to diagnose a likely cause of the problem, and then find a way forward. There are several things which it could be, but you won't know without a vet examining her. Some treatments may be relatively simple (eg pain relief, antibiotics, Panacur) and could be given eg on her food, so minimising handling. Rabbits often get used to more handling over time when they are poorly, and there are often different ways to do things to minimise stress eg a top-opening carrier so she can be accessed for meds and some examinations without being lifted out, or bunny burrito in a towel.

If she's falling over, she's probably going to have issues keeping herself clean at some point, so you would then need to intervene. She may also have problems accessing food and water.

It's not a good quality of life for her to remain as she is. She's reached a wonderful old age, and surely deserves more than to spend her last days struggling to do basic bunny things. If you are not willing to treat her, I would consider PTS to prevent further deterioration and suffering.

Hello, Iv not had experience of this as a first time bunny owner. But I thought I’d just say that if you find it stressful for your bunny to give meds then I know that my vet said they can give it as injections that last longer. I had a terrible time getting Bella to take hers but thankfully she took it on food. This could be an option to give pain relief so as not so many vet trips. As I say I’m not an expert but it sounds like your bunny really needs to see a vet to know exactly what this is. It could be causing so much unknown pain to the human eye. When we got Bella she had never been to one & was in a right state. She seemed ok but she had molar spurs that were cutting her cheeks. She still ate & didn’t show signs but they hide pain I know that. Her hay eating has improved a lot since then but the poor soul would have been so sore & I wouldn’t have known. She also shakes going to the vet every time & during examination as she’s scared but most rabbits are. I just would rather that than her not getting seen or treated & something we have to sadly do for the bunnies health & care. She usually jumps into my arms once on the examination counter bless her as she hates it. I hope you get to the bottom of itxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She really needs assessing by a vet to diagnose a likely cause of the problem, and then find a way forward. There are several things which it could be, but you won't know without a vet examining her. Some treatments may be relatively simple (eg pain relief, antibiotics, Panacur) and could be given eg on her food, so minimising handling. Rabbits often get used to more handling over time when they are poorly, and there are often different ways to do things to minimise stress eg a top-opening carrier so she can be accessed for meds and some examinations without being lifted out, or bunny burrito in a towel.

If she's falling over, she's probably going to have issues keeping herself clean at some point, so you would then need to intervene. She may also have problems accessing food and water.

It's not a good quality of life for her to remain as she is. She's reached a wonderful old age, and surely deserves more than to spend her last days struggling to do basic bunny things. If you are not willing to treat her, I would consider PTS to prevent further deterioration and suffering.

Thanks for reminding me why I rarely come on to this message board.

People should really think about the words they type before posting. You don't know or even bothered to ask for any other details - is she clean, is she using litter box, is she eating, is she drinking, is she active, is she displaying other rabbit behaviours. Instead you tell me to put her to sleep to prevent suffering. What a lovely person you are. You don't need to bother replying as I will be deactivating my account. Nasty and unhelpful.

Please take her to a vets. Rabbits hide pain so at the very least she may need painkillers.

Although many people here had good extensive knowledge, this is a reminder -

It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

I'm sorry you've been upset by a post. Of course only you know how your rabbit is coping and managing day to day. However, other replies have also said how important it is for a vet check and given the opportunity for further replies/details. If a person wasn't able to use a leg correctly and was falling etc of course they'd see a doctor, it's no different for a rabbit. In my experience, I had this occur in an 8 year old rabbit who had full treatment for EC and X rays which revealed spondylosis. She was on pain relief and had her care adapted until she no longer had quality of life.

The only things you can do whilst you wait vet treatment are joint supplements (for example Oxbow), and adapted care such as low sided litter trays, towels rolled up to prop bunny up if necessary.

Back