• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Search results

1. D

Hind Limb amputation, Giant Rabbit?

Update: We took our rabbit for her x-rays on Monday and they unfortunately showed the worst possible outcome; she had severe osteomyelitis and a badly fractured hock. She must have been in so much pain but always remained so sweet natured. We decided that due to her being only a year old we...
  2. D

When she first started antibiotics she was having an injectable penicillin every other day but when she had a culture done to see what antibiotic would be best for the bacteria present, it was an oral antibiotic this worked really well initially but has since stopped working. I did have another...
  3. D

She's still getting about (mainly on 3 legs) eating, drinking, toileting as normal. She still seems happy. The leg is rapidly getting worse and doesn't seem to be responding to antibiotics. It's very swollen and hot. The vet said she could try sewing antibiotic balls into the hock but said the...
  4. D

In the last week or so our rabbit has shown no improvement with her abscessed hocks, after not knowing what to do I've spent the last few days getting in touch with different practices to see what their opinions are regarding treatment options for her. The majority of practices were in agreement...
  5. D

She's on Metronidazole and Sulfatrim twice daily. When I took her for the appointment the vet nurse said it looked like an abscess but she would call the vet to have a look. The vet said that it didn't look like an abscess and it was likely to be a bone infection, hence why she said she wouldn't...
  6. D

Hi, I posted this a while ago but could do with some more advice. Our rabbits wound really improved after I posted this, it was almost completely healed and she was doing really well. However in the last week a fairly large abscess has formed just above the original wound site she's on pain...
  7. D

Thank you Zoobec and InspectorMorse. Her appointment earlier was as I thought it would be, still signs of infection, although they did say that that the wound has reduced in size overall. They have decided not to bandage the wound for the next few days as she is starting to get secondary sores...
  8. D

Thank you for your post InspectorMorse that was so helpful. You're right her quality of life must come first no matter how hard it is for us. I suppose I just needed to know that I have tried everything I possibly can for her.
  9. D

Thank you. She's had the wound cleaned and packed with manuka honey at the vets, they have been bandaging it which is changed every three days. At the start this was working and was healing beautifully but then it got badly infected. Yes Depocillin is the one we're using (every other day) The...
  10. D

Hi, our rabbit is having issues with her hind leg, she had a nasty abscess just above her hock which was treated but now isn't healing or responding to antibiotics (she started on baytril and is now having one oral antibiotic and one injectable antibiotic and pain relief) The wound is now deep...
Back