• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Search results

1. Preitler

Safe Wood

Noone knowing an answer is going to find this very specific question hidden here in an old thread with a different topic. Best start a new thread, with a title like "Wayfair Sheds for rabbits - experiences?" :)
  2. Preitler

Millie: Lump of fur on her back / Arthritis treatment

What dose is this? My vet used an outdated handbook that said 0,1-0,3mg/kg, but that's below the therapeutic range and didn't work. I started to see results at 0,4mg/kg and went up to 0,6.
  3. Preitler

Cookie is very worried

It's sometimes wiered to what they react. None of my rabbits ever cared much about noise, chopping wood, working with the chainsaw, dropping a pan - doesn't matter. Pacino is from a completly different line, has some angora in him, and different behaviour. He's ok with fireworks and such, but...
  4. Preitler

I, of all people, rescued a rabbit.

That boy brings a smile on my face, which is worth so much these days :)
  5. Preitler

Candle Ceremony 31~December~2023

My sweet, little, pigheaded black Fury died on May 8th, 11 years old. She was my very first rabbit and I learned so much from her. So much attitude in such a little bundle. Two days ago I had to bury Chantal, a quirky girl, great digger and escape artist, well known in my neighbourhood from me...
  6. Preitler

Mouldy Apples

More likely it was just the alcohol. You would need to stuff a rabbit with A LOT of appleseeds to get an effect from the cyanide, like enough to make them explode first ;). I would think it doesn't take much to make souch a small animal tipsy, estimated from what it takes me to get there that...
  7. Preitler

Outdoors bunnies inside for 2 weeks

How warm is it in your home, and how cold outside? Rabbits aren't easily bothered by cold, if it's not below freezing I wouldn't worry much, they'll do fine. It's just been 2 weeks anyway. reducing heating for a few days sure doesn't hurt. I once had a rabbit in inside quarentine from August...
  8. Preitler

I, of all people, rescued a rabbit.

Well, now I've got one more buck than I planned for... A meat breeder down the road, old guy, didn't latch his hutches properly weeks ago, whole litter escaped (idiot didn't tell me), one day on my way to the train station I noticed a small rabbit in the bushes. Took me 3 days to build enough...
  9. Preitler

Safe woods to build with

I just use wood from old pallets, as long as they are untreated they are safe. Most pallets are marked with what kind of treatment they got "HT", heat treated, is safe. Actually haven't seen anything else. If I do not want them to chew a certain part I paint it with diluted rabbit urine, they...
  10. Preitler

E.Cuniculi

Hm, I just got my 5yo Chantal treated for EC, first was a 5 day course of daily antibiotica injections (sorry, don't know which one it was) and fluids, which had immediate effects and was stopped once no improvement could be seen from one day to the next. I think i should have continued a few...
  11. Preitler

Mr Chief not eating

Also, keep him moving. The first thing i do when I notice something is off like that are belly massages, I put the rabbit on my knee/leg, facing me, and rock the whole rabbit. i can see if that eases the pain. Or I make them hop for a minute now and then, motion helps to keep things moving...
  12. Preitler

Worried he might have eaten it!

No way a 5lb bunny would swallow a 1/2" screw. Dogs are another matter, but rabbits carefully chew everything.
  13. Preitler

Feeding plants in spring

I just start to feed greens when the first leafs of grass or stuff like chickweeed can be found, with small amounts, and fade out veggies and hay (still offered but ignored) when enough forage is available, never a problem. I wouldn't think the protein was the culprit there, but too much of...
  14. Preitler

The RSPCA came this morning

To a foreigner that sounds so wiered. This is a private organization, right? What kind of athority do they have, how can they tell you anything? I would not let them on my property. Not without police in tow, and than only a official state authority and not a private organisation. My animals...
  15. Preitler

Rabbits and dogs?

Over the years I took in three dogs from friends and colleagues for days or weeks, never was a problem with my two free roam 10lbs house bunnies. But it really depends on the dog, I'm not sure I could trust one with a strong hunting drive. After a day or so the rabbits got used to the new room...
  16. Preitler

Rabbit geriatric problems - not sure what to do

My 11yo Fury has some problems with her rear legs too, athritis in the hip I suppose, not too bad but in fall she started to sit at the ramp for 15 minutes before eventually going outside. Also, she didn't use the upstairs hutch anymore. Started to give her metacam, a rather low dose - and that...
  17. Preitler

Insulating/weatherproofing pet carriers

Right, most simple, convinient would be a Towel or such over the carrier with a slot cut in the middle for the carry handle, to give a good grip and keep it from sliding off. Even just a closed jacket or pullover with the handle sticking out on the top would do. Before I owned a pet carrier I...
  18. Preitler

Should I let the new rabbit play with my cat?

A rabbit seeing off a cat in the garden is not the same as living in the same house. Cats sneak up on prey, if that doesn't work they lose interest. I too have seen my rabbit hopping up to and sniffing a cat that was sneaking up on her, cat got up, turned around and never bothered my rabbits...
  19. Preitler

suddenly both of my buns is licking the wooden cabinet

Uhm, I would consider that they could have some deficite of something, do they have a salt lick? What's their diet?
  20. Preitler

Move old rabbit from outside shed to live inside

I give my almost 11yo Fury Metacam once a day for her athritis - on a little kitchen oatmeal, and she loves it. That's my way to administer drugs, at least if it's not too much to get soaked up.
Back