• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Search results

1. D

Rabbit ageing metric

Trying to come up with a metric for ageing my rabbits, so far I've been using: Domestic rabbit maximum likely age = 12yrs Human maximum likely age (my guess) = 100yrs Human equivalent age = 100 / 12 X (Rabbit age) = 8.333 X (Rabbit age) However a quick search on the Internet reveals that...
  2. D

Baby leaf pea shoots

OK that's good to hear. I must be going a bit blind in my middle age!
  3. D

Baby leaf pea shoots

Are baby leaf pea shoots OK for bunnies? Haven't seen these in the supermarket before but my local has small bags of 50g.
  4. D

Both rabbits "bloated" abdomen at + 3 weeks.

Thanks for your replies and interest. Saw the vet and thank goodness he could not find any clinical abnormalities in either rabbit! It's worth mentioning that I checked the female this morning and there seemed to have been a noticeable improvement over night (less tension) - ironically the first...
  5. D

Thanks for your replies. Vet visit tomorrow. In the meantime I was wondering if the change in the hay I've giving them could cause these symptoms? The hay is rather "stalky" and not as soft as hay they've had before (I do also give them a handful of timothy hay forage mix each weekday, so it's...
  6. D

I agree, but hindsight can be a luxury. It is only during the last week - from Thursday to be precise - that the female rabbit has shown signs of discomfort when her belly is palpated. Up to then I really believed the feeling of their bellies was due to weight gain. In the past other members of...
  7. D

Thanks for your replies. Is there a precise definition of bloat? When I feel their abdomens they are quite subjective. Certainly gently palpating particular the female rabbit, I can feel tension in the abdomen and towards the rear it is not uniform. I don't think so. Because of the wet weather...
  8. D

Both my house rabbits have abdomens that do not feel soft, not hard but there is definitely tension. Some facts: # Been like this for + 3 weeks. # Symptom much more significant in the larger female rabbit - seems to be getting worse. # Belly of female rabbit feels heavy. # Female rabbit seems in...
  9. D

Bunny daily veg menu ideas for summer

Hang on didn't I say: Next week will look like this: Sun - Spring Greens / Spinach / Flat Leaf Parsley / Rocket Mon - Spring Greens / Savoy Cabbage / Dill / Carrots Tue - Spring Greens / Savoy Cabbage / Dill / Rocket Wed - Spring Greens / Savoy Cabbage / Dill / Rocket Thu - Spring Greens /...
  10. D

Thanks for all your replies, this is what I've given (will give) them to eat this week: Sun - Savoy Cabbage Leaves / Dandelion / ---- / Carrots Mon - Savoy Cabbage Leaves / Dandelion / Mint / ---- Tue - Savoy Cabbage Leaves / Dandelion / Mint / ---- Wed - Spring Greens / Dandelion / Mint / ----...
  11. D

Too much dandelion cause blood in urine?

I sometimes wonder if I'm trying to be "too clever" feeding my rabbits all the different herbs and vegetables, and varying the menu each week, because my feeding choices are not particularly evidence based. At the moment they have unlimited hay from a bale we got from a local farm and also a...
  12. D

Thanks for all your replies. Each week amongst other things I currently rotate giving them a bag (over the week not a day!) of watercress, then rocket, then, carrot tops, and I wanted to add dandelion leaves when I have enough in the garden to collect. Perhaps I will do that once a month. Does...
  13. D

Hi there I was planning on giving a handful of dandelion leaves a day to my two rabbits. Someone mentioned that too much dandelion leaves can cause digestion problems including blood in urine and so they should be given sparingly, e.g. just a few leaves each feeding! Is this true?
  14. D

OK I get the message, I'll avoid giving parsley and carrot together or carrot and carrot tops together and cut back on the carrots generally.
  15. D

Well I'm probably far too fussy myself, e.g. spring greens that don't "look fresh enough" usually end up in the bin, spinach leaves or watercress that don't look fresh end up in my sandwiches! I also cut much of the stalks off of carrot tops and herbs because I wonder if the bunnies can chew it...
  16. D

:shock: Well with costs like that you could apply for charitable status! Where do you get your thyme from?
  17. D

Yeah it's had a healthy effect on my household too! Or are the bunnies just taking over??? :shock:
  18. D

Ha ha someone else understands! Where do you get the apple branches from? I should also add that if we already have some in the fridge then I might give kale instead of spinach. I would give them basil if I could get it in a bunch, the small bags from the supermarkets are not cost effective.
  19. D

Source of dandelion leaves in SW London?

I get my herbs from ASDA, Sainsburies, or Tesco, and only get the large bunches, usually 80p - £1. This is why I don't get Basil, the bunnies love it but I can only find the little bags in the supermarkets and you don't get much. Croydon market in south London is my main local market and I have...
  20. D

£300 a year and the female rabbit still wants to chew all my furniture and woodwork!
Back