• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Search results

1. J

Rabbit making strange noises - Please send good vibes, I'm off to the vet

UPDATE: We brought our rabbit to the vet and she had a culture done. She immediately put our rabbit on antibiotics and she got better in two or three days. The results came back and it is Pasteurella, so our girlfriend and I know that we have a snuffles bun. She has been off the antibiotics for...
  2. J

Quad Failure now need ideas

Maybe I'm grasping at straws here, but would moving some of your buns outside in a shed + run arrangement be an option (wether the trio or the new duo with the hypothetical 5th rabbit) ? I hate to suggest that since I very well know how harsh our winters get in Canada (-30C is not a rare...
  3. J

She was referred to us by two local rescues: she works at a pet hospital and all the vets there have their speciality (dogs, cats, birds, etc.). This one handles pretty much all the rabbit/birds related issues, so I'd say she is rabbit savvy. I have two vets who are very close to where I live...
  4. J

If she still does it today or tomorrow, it's off to the vet for sure, don't worry. The vet stressed that it was very important to keep an eye on her.
  5. J

After consultation to the vet, she agreed that it was best not to have the rabbit travel 3 hours for a sneeze and a few episodes of 10 seconds episodes of grunting since she had no other associated symptoms (lethargy, loss of apetite, nasal discharge, chronic sneezing, etc.). She recommended...
  6. J

I'll definately get her checked out if it persists, but I'll be calling the vet tomorrow for her opinion anyway. Seeing as our vet is an hour and half away (I live in the boonies), I don't want to stress her out by taking her on an uber long car ride for nothing if I can help it. I also thought...
  7. J

My rabbit has started to make some strange noises when she is grooming herself. I caught it this evening when she was done with her meal and grooming her ears: she was making some kind of very soft grunting, like a pig would. She also did it when she was playing with her blanket and when I...
  8. J

my planted herbs are growing!

Mint, thyme and rosemary are three very easy and rustic aromatics to grow. Mint you just plant somewhere sunny in the garden where the rabbits can't get to it and it will overrun your yard if you let it in a few years times. It's basically a noxious weed if left to it's own devices after the...
  9. J

Toe licking bunny!

My rabbit does the same thing too. She'll painstakingly "groom" my feet and legs for very long periods of time. Petting her against the fur is like pressing the "on" button: out comes the tongue ! I discovered that when I was doing a routine flea checkup.
  10. J

House Proofing Wires/Cables

Hardware stores usually have tubing to protect the wires of a trailer hitch from abrasion from the road. They are already cut lengthwise and are pretty cheap and durable: it was about 5$ for everything. A rabbit will have a hard time gnawing/biting through that. I like the idea of aquatic tubing...
  11. J

What would you do....? (Released rabbits)

I'd leave them be. My rabbit was almost released outside before we got her and it is a pretty awful thing to do, but once the animal is accustomed to living free from human interaction, it wouldn't be fair to try to catch them: they are not carnivore animals like cats and dogs and pose little to...
  12. J

"You're a Crazy Rabbit Lady" - How RUDE!

You have to take into consideration that a lot of people consider rabbits as second tier pets next to cats and dogs. To them, you just have to cram food in their tiny cage and clean them once in a while and that's it. They are supposedly low-maintenance This stems from the fact that rabbits have...
  13. J

Dwarf Bunnies

The softer poops who are attached together are most probably caecotrophs: are they all bunched up in a grape-like fashion ? If they are caecotrophs, it's more or less normal for rabbits who are 3 months old to not always eat them since they do not have the instinct to always catch them at the...
  14. J

New neighbours have a rabbit - U/D P62 Binkies! :D

Sometimes, people just don't know how to care for pets and all it takes is for someone to show them the proper way :D. There are a lot of ideas that are firmly implanted in the average pet owner's mind: rabbits are solitary animals, rabbits live happily in a small outside hutch, rabbits can't...
  15. J

pees and poos ????

I'm still very new to rabbits, but I have a doe about the same age your mini lops and she's been almost 100% clean for the last week or so. What I did was to religiously pick every dropping she made outside of her boxes, and put it into her nearest box since she has a box both in her cage and...
  16. J

Not Liking Bare Floors

Pets are sometimes weird. I had a dog as a child and she would go everywhere in the house becsause there was carpet laid down. When my parents changed that for wooden floors, the dog hated it and became a kitchen and basement only dog. On the other hand, Moustache LOVES running around on wooden...
  17. J

How to choose a companion to bond to your rabbit ?

I live in Canada, might have to update my profile to reflect that :lol:
  18. J

I'm sure they would, but the stress on the newcomer of two long car rides plus an unsuccessful bond is something to consider.
  19. J

Thanks for the quick reply. When the time comes, I'll be sure to ring the shelters and arrange a block of a few days when I can drive bunny around for her to pick or check if they can do the bonding for a donation, if at all possible (I haven't seen anyone offer that service on their website...
  20. J

I'm slowly winning my girlfriend over with the idea of having a pair inside the house instead of just a single bunny. It isn't done yet and we will likely not try a bond before next year since Moustache is still very young and not spayed, but I was just wondering how one goes about about...
Back