• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Search results

1. N

Cordless hoover recommendations?

We have a Hetty but it’s so heavy and clunky, I want to get a cordless hoover for touch-ups in the bunny room between big cleans. Any recommendations?
  2. N

Large/giant bunnies - weight at 5 months (ish)

So we’ve had Holly for just 3 weeks and already she has gone from 3.35kg to 3.55kg, so I think she is still growing! She is now 21 weeks old and we’ve no idea how big she’ll get because she isn’t a particular breed. She does have massive feet so I wonder how big she’ll get. So the question is...
  3. N

Tips for tackling undercoat matting?

So we have just got a new bunny from a rescue. On the surface her coat looks fine, but I’ve noticed that her undercoat seems to be matted on her chest, although the surface of the coat is fine. She’s a big bunny so the matts cover a large area, but they aren’t on any other part of her. It’s in...
  4. N

Anyone have/know of videos of mouth-breathing or tooth grinding?

I need to be able to recognise both but I can't seem to find any videos online - does anyone have some or know of any? I don't want to go into too much detail right now as it's still pretty raw, but one of our bunnies is ill and I need to recognise mouth breathing and tooth grinding in case...
  5. N

Bonding Diary - Anna and Abby

Today I started bonding Annabella and Abby! To give a bit of background, Annabella is a 6 year old, spayed, black lionhead, who I have had for years, and Abby is an 8 year old, orange lionhead and is not spayed. Both are single due to the passing of their partners this year. Abby's owner...
  6. N

Lump on genitals

Our potential new rabbit arrived today. When I checked her over today I saw a lump on her genitals, it doesn't look sore and there are no scabs or discharge. She's completely separate from my bunny and we're observing basic hygiene measures, handwashing, not sharing things etc. She'll be going...
  7. N

Fleas! Advice please

Took Annabella to the vets a week ago as I noticed a couple of scabs on her head and on closer inspection she had fleas! We weren't able to see my normal vet, so saw the new one, got Xenex spot-on and were told to come back in 2 weeks for a follow up. I thought they had all gone after the 3rd...
  8. N

Advice? neutering and bonding older rabbits

I haven't been on here much since Barney passed, but I haven't forgotten about RU, life just seems to get in the way! I still have Anna, who will be 6 in December, and is a house-bunny, living alone. Honestly, after Barney being ill for years, I don't think I want to be caught in a never-ending...
  9. N

Enlarged heart - advice?

My vet called me earlier with results of Barney's most recent xrays. He has an enlarged heart. Barney has also had a slow heart rate + extra heart sound before picked up by listening with a stethoscope, although the subsequent ECG they did showed no big abnormalities in rhythm etc but did...
  10. N

Indoor pens - suggestions please

The bunnies are being moved inside now that the temperature is dropping. They won't be able to be free-range unless supervised. I have a dog crate but I'd like a pen to attach to it to expand their space. So I'm looking for suggestions please, there are a lot of puppy/rabbit pens out there...
  11. N

Bio-catolet litter - safe? Jelly stuff in it

I've been using this litter for a few weeks now - it is recycled paper-based litter, it is light, good for absorbancy and great for smell, which is good for deterring flies. BUT - with the massive rain fall the last couple of days I've found out what happens when it gets wet - it isn't just...
  12. N

broad bean pods - safe for bunnies?

Bought a load of broad beans today - feel bad chucking all the pods away - any chance they're suitable for bunnies to nom on?
  13. N

Safe electric heater for bunnies

The bunnies are in an unheated conservatory/lean-to and it drops to about 10c at night. Ideally I want it to stay around 15c, so I need a heater that is safe enough to use unsupervised all night. I was thinking about a tube heater, is this what I should go for? Anyone have a heater for their...
  14. N

Metacam dose - dosing syringe into mg or ml

Out of interest, mainly because with rabbits a lot of people quote metacam doses in mg or ml rather than using the dosing syringe, what is the formula to change a kg dose into a dose measured in mls or mg? In other words, how many mg is in a 1 or 10 kg dose of dog metacam? Barney has a 25kg dog...
  15. N

Housing in lean-to but run outdoors? Growing winter coat & temp changes

For the winter I have brought the rabbits into the lean-to/conservatory attached to my house, it is basically a conservatory but has a wooden roof. It is unheated but remains a higher temperature than outside. But the area they have access to is only about 3ft by 10ft, so I'd like them to still...
  16. N

Tramadol - disguising the taste

I would really appreciate anyone's experience of how to disguise the taste of tramadol capsules as the first dose didn't go down well. Barney needs to have 45mg twice a day but a bowl of critical care didn't disguise it enough. Ideally I need a solution that I can use long term that is...
  17. N

Different gut stimulants and frequency of dose?

I am going back to the vet in a couple of days.... long story short, I've made a few threads on Barney and his slow gut. He's been on metaclopramide for 2 years now and the dose he has needed has just gone up and up. We are now at 3ml 3 times a day.. he ranges from 3.3-3.7kg depending on his...
  18. N

RWAF New Hutch + Run Design

Anyone know anything about this? Anyone know if they are planning to update the guidelines and/or sell one themselves? The First Alert says that they had a sneak-peak version at the London Pet Show: http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=8d82133b4e3b967c999777fd9&id=e3417e37ce&e=a1acac7fa4
  19. N

Oats or excel pellets - healthier for putting meds on?

Barney is currently on 4 types of medication a day (3 of which are long-term), and one of those needs to be given 3 times a day. I don't like to force him to take it, so usually give it on food. I've tried various things but recently settled on using oats, as they are more natural than other...
  20. N

How do you use a nebuliser?

On the advice of my vet I've bought a little nebuliser for Barney. It's just a cheap little portable one for £16 bought on eBay. If it seems to help I may buy a better one later on. Now, the instructions are clearly translated (very badly!) from another language and are quite unclear. I...
Back