• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Search results

1. T

Benjie le bun bun

Benjie came to me on Jan 18th. He was found trying to cross a busy dual carriageway in rush hour, in the dark & was jet black. No one claimed him, so I took him in. it wasn't just simple snuffles, he had pasteurellosis with 2 abcesses. Even the vet's face fell. She doubted he'd get through his...
  2. T

I've seen it all now.

Lovely Benjie is stretching my ingenuity. He's recently got an isolated thrombocytopaenia, probably due to intra abdominal neoplasm. We got out of the verge of stasis, (main cause - excessive fear of the slightest sound) with lavender sprigs. I can't help his abdominal cradling - NSAI's would...
  3. T

lesson in forage to help minor issues+ "unusal" behaviours

Benjie is now 5 1/2 & usually has guts of iron, he's on a forage only diet to reduce dust for his snuffles - staple is tree leaves & twigs. He has a huge moult in Autumn, so I wasn't surprised that he was eating more, but very surprised to find uneaten caecals x2 per week. Then the weather...
  4. T

advice re repeat prescriptions please.

Benjie le Bun Bun has been on continuous Bisolvon for several years now. At 1st. he had to be seen every 6 months for further repeat prescriptions, but then the vet said that because it was obvious that he'd always need it, no further 6 monthly examination was required. It's been like that for...
  5. T

Visit from the RSPCA today

What a shock! Knock at the door, I stick my head out of the upstairs window & there's an RSPCA gentleman asking me if I have:shock: a pet. The next thing I actually heard was "animal cruelty".:shock: :shock: :shock: So I answered "yes, I've got a free ranging house rabbit, do you want to see...
  6. T

Thank you Biscand matt 1

I just came to look up an old thread, & saw Bisc's recent thread. I'm delighted to see an old bunny friend & that all is going well. I have never said how much I am indebted to Biscandmatt1 because many years ago you very patiently explained snuffles to me in the early days, when we were still...
  7. T

Help for odd form of stasis please.

Benjie is now 41/2. His initial problem was pasteurella snuffles & abscesses before puberty. He's had no major problems for 3 years now. Over the last 3 weeks his appetite has gradually decreased & poohs got smaller in size & amount. I've increased the available fibre. Yesterday although still...
  8. T

correcr use of foraged plants - a personal opinion

A personal opinion. The predominant component of a normal rabbit diet should be about 90% hay or grass. Foraged wild plants are intended to replace the veg component or the pellet component in rabbits which get at least 1 hour outside daylight a day .(Permanent house rabbits need about an...
  9. T

Foragers please help. bunny in a tight spot

SJH has a lovely conti called Hector & tried lots of things to control his runny caecals. On the surface it l looked as though he has hay eating problems http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?410900-Tummy-issues-and-pro-fibre-Help-please-%28 I'm not convinced, having encountered a...
  10. T

Benjie's progress wow!

Benjie's probably about 3 by now but he'll have to wait for his gottcha day for the celebration. He's been the most nervous rabbit imaginable, spending almost all his time under the bed although having freedom to free range the house. I'd accepted that's how he was Last night he was scampering...
  11. T

FAO all foragers

I know this sounds like diet but it's an appeal for rescues, because many of us don't look on the diet forum once we're proficient. Some of the rescues eg Tuckerbunny are very interested in forage for their buns. There is NO way with the number of buns involved they can possibly collect their...
  12. T

Are there any other bunnies like this?

There are no "problem" behaviours. He's just maybe a bit unusual. So I'm asking the forum. a) I was once told that buns don't like to be stroked along the lower jaw line. Not only does Benjie love this, tilting his head so I can do it more easily, but he also like to have the roots of his...
  13. T

Benjie

I'm sooo happy. Benjie has been a completely normal bunny today for the 1st time since I've had him 1yr 10 months ago. He was a total nervous wreck of a bunny, spent nearly all his time in his hidey holes in the bedroom & only came out if I bent down to stroke him. On the occasions he did come...
  14. T

Poor Benjie

I felt so sorry for him today. He's been sooo patient, & asked me sooo politely for a stroke but I hurt my back at the w/e & get very painful spasms changing posture. There's no way I can lift him, & getting off the floor was :censored: agony. This morning he was a right pain in the...
  15. T

teaching a baby bunny about human food

Do you have that problem of sitting down to supper in front of the TV and a bunny lands in the middle of your plate? Well they don't intend to land in the plate, they just can't see exactly where they'll land when they take off. But it's that inordinate curiosity about human food. "Wat ya eatin...
  16. T

Do rabbits improve human co operation?

If just had a lovely run of unexpected helpfullness, & all from rabbit owners. I've had horrendous issues with the sewer for over 9 years & was getting nowhere. Benjie put in his appearance at a recent meeting here. The senior engineer has Norwegian "Giants" & suddenly all long term opposition...
  17. T

Embarressing moments with pets

I can't be the only one who has them. I could keep totally quiet but can't help chuckling at myself. Benjie le bun bun is in major moult again (does he ever stop?) As stroking changes to gentle plucking I was reminded of when I was giving him his nebuliser on my knee, & concentrating on the...
  18. T

New vet

After the recent upset, & finding out that my usual vet wasn't returning from maternity leave. It's been back to looking for vets with a special interest in rabbits. There's a good general vet round the corner. They've now got a rabbit interested partner, & we've had a good introductory consult...
  19. T

Worried sick

My usual vet went on maternity leave & isn't coming back. I temporarily transferred to one of her colleagues. I thought OK for the basics. This is my list: "Benjie is obese" on the basis of weight gain of 200Gm & no examination at all. His spine is easily palpable, ribs palpable beneath a thin...
  20. T

I'm so proud of Benjie

He's the most demonstratively affectionate bunny ever. He had a really bad start, found wandering trying to cross a busy dual carriageway in rush hour in early Jan & he's jet black. We also think he'd been attacked by something because there's a semicircle of tiny scars at the end of his lop...
Back