• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Search results

1. VikkiVet

Pet Sitter in Carmarthenshire needed

Hi, does anyone know a pet sitter in Carmarthenshire to recommend? I am looking for someone to take care of the crazy trio when I am away at weekends or have manic on-call weekends and can't get back to the house. Doesn't seem to be much when I search the internet, so any suggestions greatfully...
  2. VikkiVet

Those of you who free range your bunnies in the garden

Don't get me wrong, I used to let my 3 free range all the time (previous house in same town) with minimal supervision - I could see them from the kitchen window but would wander off and do other things briefly, and obviously would get engrossed in cooking etc. Nothing ever happened to them then...
  3. VikkiVet

The run they were in was separate from their 24/7 one and not as sturdy. Obviously that's a design flaw. I still allow mine in their attached run as its much more predator-proof and they can get into the wendy house to escape. My point wasn't the type of run used, it was that if all that could...
  4. VikkiVet

I've not read the whole thread, but thought I'd add my experiences. I am a vet. My 3 mini rexes were in a run in the garden, with my housemates in the house keeping an eye on them. A fox entered the garden, grabbed Indi by her hind foot and bashed her against the run bars trying to get her...
  5. VikkiVet

Rainbow Rabbit Role Call!

Oh yes, I remember now, I knew there was a link! Bless Geoff, always had a soft spot :love::love::love:
  6. VikkiVet

Rainbow Rabbit Role Call!

Wow, some buns I don't even recognise! Was it Onslow I was involved in, I can't remember?! How old is Geoff now?
  7. VikkiVet

Lilys Story...The full complete..By Rabswood.

Lovely. Hard not to cry in places xxxx
  8. VikkiVet

Rex Sore Hocks - Vet Gold Cream

Yeah they were big bonus features for me - I really didn't want anything with steroids or NSAIDs etc in for long-term use. I was given it for Indi's wound, so she has a dressing over hers. For Kylo I just smeared it on and let him go. I imagine some definitely comes back off but enough seems to...
  9. VikkiVet

Rex Sore Hocks - Vet Gold Cream

Has anyone tried Vet Gold cream for sore hocks before? I've been using it for a week on Kylo's feet and its had really good results. Applied once a day without bandages or anything else, not changed anything else about his routine or housing etc. Already his feet are much less red and sore and...
  10. VikkiVet

is it a myth that spaying rabbits prevents uterine cancer?

I think the 80% figure relates to the original 1940s paper, not sure how many animals were in that study or whether there was any bias in the study as its too old to access online. But lots of studies with different design parameters confirm that the incidence is at least 50% which is enough for...
  11. VikkiVet

Good thoughts there Geoff's People. Biologically its actually more likely to be the opposite. The tissues don't atrophy from non-use they actually lose their regulation, leading to cancer, because they aren't used for their intended purpose. Rabbits are induced ovulators, which means that the...
  12. VikkiVet

Peer-reviewed references: Vet Rec. 1998 Jun 20;142(25):704. Uterine adenocarcinoma in pet rabbits. Harcourt-Brown FM. Vet Rec. 1998 May 16;142(20):550-1. Treatment of a uterine adenocarcinoma in a domestic rabbit by ovariohysterectomy. Sommerville LM. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2010 Dec...
  13. VikkiVet

The incidence of uterine adenocarcinoma is approximately 4% in non-breeding females before 3 years old, and between 50-80% in females older than 3 years. Incidence for previously bred rabbits is similar but the increase occurs around 5 years rather than 3 years. Peer reviewed research studies...
  14. VikkiVet

URGENTLY need hutch - Hertfordshire

Thanks to Claire (sammi_83) she has given me a great 4ft 2 storey hutch as a temporary measure, and we are going to get her a wendy house in the new year!! thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated xx
  15. VikkiVet

URGENTLY need hutch - Hertfordshire

Hi, sorry I've not been on the forum in a very long time. I am well, only 6 months left of vet school! Anyway, I am currently taking care of a friend's rabbit for a few days, after she managed to make a hole in the wire of her hutch. She urgently needs a new hutch (current one is also too...
  16. VikkiVet

Boarding bunny at work... Looking for a little weight gain/diet advice!

With my vet hat on I'd be tempted to start again from the beginning: - ultrasound abdomen and "bunogram" x-ray (whole body inc skull and spine) - bloods for haematology and biochemistry - proper dental exam under sedation or GA (admittedly risky at her current weight and state) treatment wise...
  17. VikkiVet

Rescues Viewpoint

No-one is fair game, irrespective of their opinions or choices. Everyone should be treated and spoken to respectfully. But people are allowed to disagree with people's actions and opinions without being acused of bullying or covert slander. Its just that, a disagreement, a difference of opinion.
  18. VikkiVet

Custom Run vs Building from Aviary Panels

19. VikkiVet

Concerned about referral

Things I always try to remember with veterinary investigations, whether they are referrals or regular vets, is a) the animal doesn't know its sick - they simple deal with the way they feel at the time. b) they don't know that they can get better or worse - they don't have a concept of chronicity...
  20. VikkiVet

Just saved a bun from being PTS. Advice?

I agree with a thorough dental examination, but under GA. Even if regular work can be done conscious in the future, he needs a proper assessment of all his teeth, x-rays of his jaw etc which can only be done properly under GA. Regular stepwise dental work can at least improve if not resolve...
Back