• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Search results

1. B

Medication costs - has anyone else heard about this?

So my husband came home the other day with Frank's tramadol medication which he takes for severe arthritis. He handed me the receipt for £53. I gulped a bit and said that I thought that tramadol was nowhere near that expensive. There must be some mistake. So I called the vet who explained that...
  2. B

Is readigrass a good thing?

Now the foraging season is coming to an end I was thinking of getting readigrass from the local farm shop and feeding it daily to the buns just to add interest to their diet. However I think I have read somewhere that it is quite high calcium or high calories or something? Does anyone know a bit...
  3. B

Feedem pet supplies tiny rabbit hutches

I have used this supplier for years - so disappointed. https://www.feedem.co.uk/small-animal-c129/small-animal-hutches-runs-c183 I've written to complain - interesting to see if they respond. Bet I'm looking for a new company to feed our buns.
  4. B

Testosterone testing?

I have a little foster bun with me who was neutered a year ago. However you’d never guess it. Circling, honking, pooomg everywhere, spraying, hyper excited... He’s been returned to the rescue due to failed bonds a few times and I wonder if this behaviour is contributing. So could something have...
  5. B

Ultrasounds and rabbits

A vet new to me advised an ultrasound to investigate Tiffany’s repeated gi statis. When he said scan I thought he meant a ct scan but when the bill came back it was an ultrasound scan. He didn’t find anything wrong with her apart from the statis. Anyone heard of these being used before? Long...
  6. B

Blood glucose results

I need to know what the implications of a glucose blood result of 16 are now. I can't remember what good, bad, normal, emergency are. Rupert is not eating so we tested his bloods and I can't find the significance of a high result. Panic!
  7. B

Francis Harcourt Brown's RABBIT sudden death study

My vet sent tissue from my bun Garfield to be tested for RHD2 through this study at the end of April but we haven't heard back so coming up for 5 months ago. My vet says he will chase them. Has anyone got results back? I know it says it can take months but didn't quite realise it could take...
  8. B

Advice on handling wild rabbit with myxomatosis

So I picked the poor bunny up in a blanket, put it in a carrier, took her to the vet who put her down. They gave me G9 spray to disinfect everything but the concentration is not on the bottle. Have sprayed it everywhere including the carrier, the bottom of my shoes and the car and put the...
  9. B

Any used a company called Tuin for their sheds?

Tuin.co.uk They look rather good. They are a Dutch/German company with a uk branch. Loads and loads of choice. Not cheap but looks like their products would last. Just found them on the nternet
  10. B

Metacam - once or twice a day? Confused!

We have moved house and vets. Our last two exotic vets split the metacam dose for the day so we gave it morning and evening. Our new exotic vets are adamant that to get the full effect of metacam, which lasts all day in their view, you must only give it once a day. Is there any science out there...
  11. B

Glue to seal round edges of plywood floor?

Does anyone know what would be safe to seal the edges of the floor to prevent it becoming warped so quickly? Just had the floors of my big welfare hutch replaced. They have never fit properly as the wood supporting the floors does not entirely match up. My hope is that if I seal the edges it...
  12. B

Gentamicin - how dangerous is it to eat?

My vet, after a chat with John Chitty, has given me gentamicin to paint on Felix's jaw abscess in addition to other meds. She added that we mustn't let him groom himself and eat it. Yeah, right! I didn't take the phone call so I didn't get a chance to talk to her myself. I am seeing her tomorrow...
  13. B

Travelling to move house with our rabbits

We moved from Essex up to Northumberland with our 13 rabbits, 3 guinea-pigs and 2 degus. I'm posting this as I think our experience might be of interest to others. I was very concerned about doing an 8 hour journey by car with our menagerie but actually it went really painlessly. As we were...
  14. B

Looking for new vet in Northumberland

Well, we are finally about to move to Northumberland to rent in the next month or two so we are hoping for some vet recommendations. We've also emailed the RWA and looked on FHB's website. Judith Brown's name jumps out from my research - does anyone go to her with their buns? Any other...
  15. B

Rescues approach to ec and rehoming

A question for people doing rehoming. Do you automatically test rabbits for ec either incoming or before you rehome even if they have no obvious signs of it? If your rabbits test positive for ec at any point in their lives does this mean that you won't rehome them ever? Thank you.
  16. B

Transporting our buns from one end of the country to the other

Hi. I am looking for advice really. We are moving from London to Northumberland next spring/summer with 13 rabbits, 2 Guinea pigs and 3 degus. Tricky! Finding somewhere which will let us rent should be interesting. My question is, has anyone used any animal taxi services? We probably will end up...
  17. B

When is new turf safe for bunnies.

Just had some gorgeous turf arrive for turfing aviaries and pens. I have unrolled it and hosed it thoroughly. It that enough make it safe for rabbits or do I need to leave it unrolled on my lawn for a few days before carpeting my aviaries with it. Has anyone had problems? Much nicer than b&q...
  18. B

Dysautonomia

My OH took Garfield to the vet today and came back with this diagnosis:( He is now on septrin and emipred with metacam if we feel he is in pain. Thinking of giving him a course of panacur as well. Does anyone have experience of dealing with this? Is there food we should or should not be giving...
  19. B

Myxi threat at animal sanctuary

I am hoping for a bit of advice. The sanctuary we volunteer at has 30 rabbits kept in reasonably good conditions. They have have myxomatosis in the wild rabbit population close to the sanctuary -they have recently found 2 sadly. Their rabbits are not vaccinated due to the cost although the...
  20. B

Miserable rabbit, mystery problem

Ziggy hasn't been himself at all since last Wednesday. Not eating. So, off to the vets. He's on 1 ml metacam x2 a day, emeprid, septrim - this is on the principle that it is best to throw everything obvious at him until we can get to the bottom of it hopefully. He's had two injections of...
Back