• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

9 week old rabbit not eating hay

Csmith9nr

New Kit
9 week old rabbit not eating hardly any hay. Got him at 8 weeks. He’s eating pellets, grass and parsley fine. Have tried him on alfalfa hay and meadow hay, not really interested in either. Heeelppp! Is this normal for a young rabbit? He’ll eat a few strands or nibble on it but that’s all

Was the bunny eating hay with his previous owner? You could try different types of hay, ie soft or stalky, to see if there is a preference. It's good that he will eat grass, but the new Spring grass will be somewhat rich and so he shouldn't consume large quantities of it. Whereas he could eat limitless quantities of hay with no ill effect, only benefits.

I wonder though if he is filling himself up on pellets. Which pellets is he eating and what quantity do you give him per day? He is still growing and so will need more than when he's an adult, but it should not be resulting in no hay consumption. As a guide the recommended daily amount of pellets for an adult bunny is one eggcupful.

It's not normal for a bunny to not eat hay, but it does happen. It's not an ideal situation as hay is very beneficial for digestion and also wearing down teeth. Sometimes rabbits need to be persuaded by ensuring they have room for hay :)

That’s what I thought too much pellets. He has a bowl that’s always covered with pellets but some of it is a mix of what they gave us when we got him. I’m pretty sure it’s full of pea flakes, grain and maybe wheat which I don’t think is very good for him. He’s my mums rabbit but she won’t listen to give him less and more hay.

I’ve tried to incorporate some of the pellets we got him which he is eating into hay but he near enough avoids it and would rather have the pellets.

Also do you know how much a 9 week old rabbit should roughly weight? He’s a mini lop

I found this online. I think to me the weights seem slightly on the high side, but it will give you some idea.

There is a bit of overlap between ages, but these figures represent the average growth rate of a Mini Lop.

Weight
(Grams/Kilograms)
BirthDiffers (50-140g typical)
1250g – 480g
2480g – 700g
3700g – 935g
4900g – 1.1kg
51.05kg – 1.275kg
61.16kg – 1.38kg
71.24kg – 1.47kg
81.3kg – 1.53kg
9-101.36kg – 1.58 kg

It can take a while for babies to get into hay eating properly but as long as he will eat grass there is no need to worry at this stage. As he gets older, say around 4 or 5 months you will need to decrease the amount of pellets he is eating and then you should see him eating more hay. At a guess he should be getting 1.5 eggcup full of pellets twice a day and you can also give him a portion of Readigrass which is higher in protein and calcium than fresh grass. I am pretty sure if he is fed this way he will do fine. Introduce a litter tray so he can get into the habit of using it. Put paper in and some hay on top.

This site is also useful for advice about a healthy rabbit diet.

You are absolutely right in that the rabbit mixes are not a healthy option for a rabbit. If I were you I would try to persuade your Mum to gradually wean him off of the mix, which should be done gradually. It is very important for both his teeth and his digestion that he consumes mostly hay.

I weighted him this morning he’s 690g which I thought was a bit low and I weighted him a few days ago I can’t remember the exact weight but was over 700g. Should I take him to the vets for a check up?

I’ve got rid of the mixed food, I’ve been weaning him off since we got him but I may just add a few pea flakes into his pellets still.

Thank you both for this, I’ll have a look at the link

I weighted him this morning he’s 690g which I thought was a bit low and I weighted him a few days ago I can’t remember the exact weight but was over 700g. Should I take him to the vets for a check up?

I’ve got rid of the mixed food, I’ve been weaning him off since we got him but I may just add a few pea flakes into his pellets still.

Thank you both for this, I’ll have a look at the link
690g seems to be within the range given for 2 months (480 - 700g), which is the age he is roughly. So no, I see no reason to be concerned, nor to take him to the vets.

An important thing to remember also is that he has had a lot of recent disruption to his very young life and will still be settling in with you.

When my rabbit refused to eat his hay, I rubbed a few strands with raisins and then fed them to him. Of course, he gobbled them up right away, but the amazing part was that he started munching on his normal hay, too! It was incredible. He's been a big hay eater ever since.

Back