• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recent content by thumps_

1. T

Stasis prone bunnies

Thank you for these links JJ I was aware of these possible effects of a long term high dose of saccharin in humans. I would like to make the following points from the press & forum articles. Saccharin is thought to a) impact on glucose absorption from the diet. b) associated with low insuklin...
  2. T

Stasis prone bunnies

Thank you MM I've looked up the metabolism of saccharine. It is a synthetic chemical not found in nature. At no point in its metabolism in man or rat is it converted to glucose or a substance similar to glucose. Therefore IMO it cannot be responsible for any rise in glucose levels. (I have...
  3. T

Stasis prone bunnies

I know of some people who have used both together a few mins apart. I found an old video on You tube of 3-4 secs of a cotton tail rabbit running in slow motion. (Turn the sound off!!! start at 1:30.) I find the change in their shape as they run amazing, almost like a bellows action on the...
  4. T

Bunny moving head up and down (not eye movement)

:wave:Hi MM you are absolutely right. Middle ear infections always involve bone. They can go quiescent with a normal course of Abx but erupt again at a later point especially with a slight dip in the immune system.
  5. T

Stasis prone bunnies

I agree with Tonibun that this is an abnormally high urine output. Even more so, as it is a change from normal & he isn't himself. Another option for you is to phone the vet now. Start with the present problem & tell him/her absolutely everything from the 1st time he started to become ill...
  6. T

Bunny moving head up and down (not eye movement)

Hi:wave: I'm so sorry That Bailey is head bobbing. I agree fully with MM that we must be 101% sure that there is no type of infection going on here. I also completely trust her experience to comment on your video. I just want to add that head bobbing isn't always caused by various infections or...
  7. T

Stasis prone bunnies

Not silly at all. Bless you. It's rarely used for babies these days. Gripe water is the very old fashioned way to treat babies with painful "wind"/ infantile colick, if they haven't been "burped" properly or take in too much air when they feed. It's basically a tea made from dill seeds. We...
  8. T

Stasis prone bunnies

Those are interesting points Greengage. I think that the rise in blood sugar mainly applies to complete obstruction which may not be seen on plain XR & is a result of very severe pain. It is truely massive (levels over 16.0 are needed before the diagnosis of obstruction is supported. Lower...
  9. T

Stasis prone bunnies

Tunnels are an excellent idea as long as they are quite wide, but I could manage by adapting the furniture a bit. 3 seater settee a few inches from the wall made a good run to the door (escape from the room!) I nice very rabbit friendly hidey hole is simply a coffee table draped with a cloth...
  10. T

Stasis prone bunnies

My pleasure.:D I add that much of the knowledge was gained from a group of us, most have now left RU. We had a personal "war on stasis"! Yes, laminate is very hard on them, their furry feet slip badly, & there's no grip for their nails. This can sprain their ligaments a bit. I wonder whether...
  11. T

Stasis prone bunnies

:wave: Hi loobers25 (I agree that the patch on the neck looks like a reaction to immunisation or even another type of injection.) 1st Many of us know how incredibly stressful it is for the carer to have a stasis prone rabbit. Have you looked at a sticky on RU diet? "Diet for stasis prone...
  12. T

Megacolon..?

:lol: You may have posted those "delightful" photos before & I just missed them. There was a sticky of a gallery of Thumper's poohs once (photobucket stopped being free) Every type, except normal!! What our tummy bunnies do to us eh? I hope you realise that Thumper didn't have megacolon but...
  13. T

Megacolon..?

:wave: Afternoon / evening Mighty Max. I couldn't agree with you more.:)
  14. T

Megacolon..?

It's lovely to hear from you again & how he's getting on. I think that it's best to stick to the same thread for the same illness. We can look back & remind ourselves what has happened before, especially what hasn't worked! (It's the 1st time I've seen a photo of his poohs. I'd say that the...
  15. T

Megacolon..?

I agree with MM this is a good idea to improve his weight particularly muscles. As an outside thought I have wondered whether it's possible to increase food "through put", & caecal emptying so he can eat more food & help weight that way too. Thumper used domperidone for this, while it was still...
Back