• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recent content by Santa

1. Santa

Recommendations for pet crem- Suffolk, Essex please

I'm so sorry to hear you need this :( If it's not too far, Resting Pets in Ongar seems to get rave reviews. I've never used them, but my vet uses them for her own pet losses.
  2. Santa

VACCINATE- Myxo, RHD1 & RHD2 -Updated 1st October 2018

Yep - in the lab situation where the products are tested on rabbits delivery bred as disease free (e.g. clear from pasteurella and ec) and living in clinically sterile conditions, they are proven to work for 12 months (9m by challenge for eravac although the antibody levels were the same at...
  3. Santa

I was having exactly this conversation with someone yesterday especially around where you'd draw the line on frequency of boosting and whether the same logic should therefore apply to nobivac too! With filavac, the advice arose because of its origins as a meat rabbit vaccine. The meat farms...
  4. Santa

Indeed! I wonder if the virus is more virulent in warmer weather for whatever reason (you'd have thought that the increased UV would be destroying it quickly) or whether it's simply down to increased movement of people, dog walkers etc in the warmer weather, so it's spreading around more than in...
  5. Santa

Thanks Jane...I've added one other teensy, tiny thing to the list of info required for us to update the RHD2 map - and that's approximate date. Most people are reporting something that has happened very recently but sometimes they have only just discovered us and want to tell us about something...
  6. Santa

Please help! Tape stuck on rabbit's chin! :(

Can you try and get hold of him (don't stress him out by chasing him around if you can help it) and wrap him in a towel. If you wrap him up fairly firmly with just his head poking out you should be able to get a better look. If it's only you at home, a couple of pegs or similar might be helpful...
  7. Santa

£15 RHD2 Vax in Essex! #29

For me, this seems not dissimilar to emotional blackmail and pressure on vets to do things for cheap/free for the sake of the animals is part of the root of the problem with stress and suicide in the profession. Where do you stop? What about reducing prices for dog and cat vaccines for the sake...
  8. Santa

£15 RHD2 Vax in Essex! #29

Honestly? Sadly I don't think it would make much difference, no. Of course any bunny protected is a good thing, but it's unlikely to drive uptake by much and if it did, they wouldn't renew next year when it was at full cost. Of course if vets want to do it then great, but in general I think it...
  9. Santa

Hutch size

I think for French lops you'd need to go higher than 2ft high, even a dwarf rabbit can stretch to 2ft so a french would need much higher. Do you have space to attach a run or aviary too? The current recommendation by welfare organisations is for 60 square feet of permanently accessible space...
  10. Santa

Good vet in Durham area

Gilmoor Vets, Gilesgate Durham are on the RWAF rabbit friendly vet list, and I'm pretty sure one of the RWAF committee uses this practice. Vets4Pets are all individually owned a bit like a franchise, so each branch will vary in their level of interest and expertise in rabbits.
  11. Santa

Funnily enough I have written to both the RSPCA and the PDSA about this recently. If you google 'rabbit vaccinations' the one you've put there and the PDSA are the first two links on the page and neither mention RHD2. So if people are genuinely wanting to do the right thing by their new pets...
  12. Santa

High Cliff Vets Brantham

Highcliff Vets Hadleigh branch is an RWAF silver practice, so they are obvs bunny friendly at the Hadleigh branch - don't know if that's do-able for you? Or if not, might be worth ringing the Brantham branch and seeing if they also have the same bunny friendly vets there.
  13. Santa

VHD Question

:( So very sorry to hear this. In answer to your questions: 1) Not from the vaccine itself or from the body's response to the vaccine, no. But they could potentially have 'caught' it from the vaccinated rabbits if those rabbits were harbouring or shedding it as asymptomatic carriers, or if the...
  14. Santa

Stanhope Vets

Yep, the UK filavac (not felivac!) covers for both RHD1 and RHD2. It's generally referred to as the RHD2 vaccine because most people will already have vaccinated with nobivac which covers both myxo and RHD1, so it is only being used because of its RHD2 cover. I've not personally used them...
  15. Santa

People who's bunnies survived myxomatosis

At that age, it's possible that she had some immunity from her mum via her milk - natural myxo immunity starts to wane until antibodies are undetectable at about 8 weeks so she may have had enough from mum just to keep it fairly mild. It's not uncommon for kits to survive if they are very...
Back