• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recent content by abbymarysmokey

1. A

chloramphenicol for Mimzy-U/D Aug 7-discontinued

I've used the eye drops for eye infections in my buns. I've also used the eye drops applied in the ears for ear infections.
  2. A

LEAVING SHORTLY - Rabbit with broken back finds her forever home

Does this rabbit still need somewhere to go? I've read through the thread, but don't really understand the situation
  3. A

Bowed front legs

Bowed which way? I have buns here at the sanctuary with front legs bowed inwards like a bulldog (Pudding) and outwards like a seal (Meg). Pudding manages to live a totally normal life and moves around normally like any other rabbit. Meg on the other hand needs keeping on deep vetbed to...
  4. A

Rabbit - Self Mutilation

I had a rabbit with neurological problems (she had seizures) who would pull her claws out. I'm sure it wasn't a behavioural/boredom issue for her.
  5. A

peppers abscess.....:(

I'm sure once a week won't be enough, even with a long acting penicillin. My vet only advises once weekly penicillin for rabbits who are currently fine but have a history of recurring infection or similar. I don't know enough about ultrapen to give an opinion on that medicine in particular, but...
  6. A

Azithromycin- Information and Your Experiences Requested

I've used it a lot, and find it to be one of the best antibiotics for infections with lots of puss. Apparently it can cause digestive upsets, but I haven't had a problem with this (so far). I've had rabbits on oral zithromax for long periods of time without ill-effects. One piece of advice I...
  7. A

Abscesses at the base of the ear are most likely to be both internal AND external. They usually start off as a nasty inner/middle ear infection, and eventually come up as an abscess visible externally. IMO there is no point just opening the abscess and cleaning it out without aggressive and...
  8. A

Surgical removal is the best bet (if it can be done). The best antibiotic I've found for ear infections has been oral Zithromax (Azithromycin)...which isn't licensed for animal use as far as I know, but your vet can prescribe it if required. Buns seems to really like the taste, so getting it...
  9. A

Prognosis for stomach abscess?

My Herman had a growth affecting his intestines. We think it was an abscess because he had a recurring abscess on his face too (not dental or injury related). We decided not to open him up because it wouldn't be in his best interest. Zithromax stopped the growth from getting any bigger for about...
  10. A

Prognosis for stomach abscess?

Not sure I fully understand the question/situation. By stomach, do you actually mean stomach...or do you mean an abscess in the abdomen area? I'm not sure I'd operate on an abscess on/in the stomach. I think hitting it hard with antibiotics might be a good idea as long as the bun's quality of...
  11. A

I always put off doing the injections

Try pulling the skin upwards to 'tent' it more. I find the penicillin wont come out if I haven't tented the skin enough and the needle ends up sticking into the skin on the other side, rather than in the space in between
  12. A

Tottis ear abscess * he's gone - p46*

I'm so sorry Jill. Binky free Totti x :(
  13. A

Urgent advice re lumps/abscesses

Also...I just wanted to say that abscesses in the chest area have a much better prognosis than ones around the head/jaw :)
  14. A

Urgent advice re lumps/abscesses

If complete removal of the abscess capsule isn't possible, then you'll need to do what Kermit said and lance it to remove the pus, then clean it out thoroughly and pack with Manuka honey or antibiotics. Even if the abscesses are large, you only need to make a smallish hole...then simply squeeze...
  15. A

Applying eye drops to puss-y eyes.

I'm not sure about an answer to your question because it would depend on whether the pus is wet or dried, how much pus, etc. Don't suppose you have any photos showing Grim's eyes? I just wanted to post to say that my vet has found oral zithromax to be really effective against most eye...
Back