• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxo vaccination - cause of death? :(

Leanne

Wise Old Thumper
Hey all,

Ive been considering posting this but didn't want to scare anyone into not vaccinating their buns but I am curious to hear if anyone else has experienced this.

A regular boarder of mine has just died.
Last year, 2 weeks after her myxo jab Sasha became ill with a chest infection. Difficulty breathing and it took a good week to ten days to clear. She has been fine since then.
Sasha had her myxo booster 3 weeks ago and again a chest infection developed, this time there was little improvement on ceporex and she collapsed on sunday morning and was rushed to the hospital. She died in her owners arms in the waiting room and they did a PM and she had had an abcess burst on her lung. There were several abcesses.
On researching the internet it would seem that it is an allergic chest reaction.
Now my question is this, the vet feels it is a reaction to the vaccination as it happened last year aswell, has anyone else had anything similar happen to their buns?
Im just curious to see how rare this is.

I'm sure it's rare, but if a rabbit shows a severe allergic reaction to a vaccine, they should never have that vaccine again.

I'm sure it's rare, but if a rabbit shows a severe allergic reaction to a vaccine, they should never have that vaccine again.

Yes its such a shame that it wasn't thought about last year as she would still be here now:(

A few years ago, I had a GORGEOUS Angora doe named Chloe. I loved her to pieces! She was over a year old when I came to have her, and had never been vaccinated before. After having her for a while, I took her and had her Myxi jab. By that evening, she was VERY unwell. I took her back to the vet, who said he thought she was just feeling under the weather from having her jab and the stress of it. By the next afternoon, she was sliding downhill fast, and I was back at the vet's office. She actually had Myxi-like symptoms, as her eyes were watery and sore, she had very chesty, wheezy breathing, and her nose was starting to sound a bit congested. At that point he prescribed antibiotics and nebulising for her, but it was too late......she passed away shortly after I returned from the vets. I was told afterwards that it was in all likelihood a severe allergic reaction to the vaccination.:cry: :cry: :cry: It has NOT, however, put me off having my buns vaccinated, and I still do so every six months.

Poor Sasha.:cry: Binky free, little one. XXX

Back