• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Coccidiosis Preventative Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon101

Banned
Hi Folks,

I have not started this thread to dish out blame or start an argument.

I wanted to let people know that we are now treating all our rabbits that currently reside with me with a seven day course of this:

http://www.hyperdrug.com/prodinfo.asp?number=COX112

We are continuing our 48 hour cleaning/disinfecting routine with Jeyes fluid.

I have also contacted everyone who has given me rabbits to foster and who we have sent rabbits to in the last two months, a message asking them to treat all there rabbits with a seven day course of this liquid and to adhere to our cleaning routine with Jeyes fluid while treating them.

I implore Eastbourne Rabbit Rescue to at least follow the above treatment for a week if there not prepared to quarantine. I cannot prove that the Coccidiosis parasite came from there but I do know that we had sick rabbits arrive and die within 24 hours of arriving from there.

Louise

The active ingredient in the Harkers Coxoid is Amprolium Hydrochloride. As far as I am aware PANACUR wormer does not contain this ingredient so is ineffective as a treatment for coccidiosis. I was lead to believe otherwise by my vet.

Louise

OK so I've done some research and I can't imagine why that lady said panacur had the same ingredients :shock:

Amprolium hydrochloride is however only effective against SOME types of coccidia (there are many!) As it's for use in birds, it obviously targets those coccidia most often found in birds - which are often not the same ones as those found in rabbits. It is therefore recommended to mix it with other drugs - as mentioned here :

......'Because amprolium has poor activity against some Eimeria spp......(it) has been extended by using it in mixtures with.........ethopabate and sulfaquinoxaline....'

(from http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/200800.htm&word=coccidia)

How did I know you would be researching to try and find something wrong with our treatment methods Elve? ;)

I spoke to the vet regarding the Coxoid treatment and he said the drug Amprolium was specifically mentioned by the laboratory that are testing the tissue samples from Blanche. Combined with our cleaning/disinfecting methods he thinks this is the best preventative treatment route.

He did mention trying some of the sulfa drugs if we get any other symptomatic rabbits but as they are not licensed for use in rabbits and are mainly designed for sheep/cattle he was hesitant to use them as a preventative method.

Louise

I am not trying to find fault with your vet Louise - I am trying to help rabbits who are ill and also trying to find information to reassure the many posters here who are now worried about coccidia.

I hate to mention the obvious, but is coxoid licensed or designed for use in rabbits? Does a rabbit have more in common with sheep/cows, or pigeons?

Something else that you or others might find helpful is that steam cleaning kills coccidia - no nasty chemicals necessary.

Last edited:
I am not trying to find fault with your vet Louise - I am trying to help rabbits who are ill and also trying to find information to reassure the many posters here who are now worried about coccidia.

I hate to mention the obvious, but is coxoid licensed or designed for use in rabbits? Does a rabbit have more in common with sheep/cows, or pigeons?

Something else that you or others might find helpful is that steam cleaning kills coccidia - no nasty chemicals necessary.

Elve it is kind of you to try and help find the information for other members whose bunnies may be affected by coccidia.
However, as their are different strains of Coccidia, it will be down to the individual vet to recommend the best treatment for each rabbit involved.
Steam cleaning is a good method of zapping the bugs though, we are using this to sterilise the rabbit units at the Sanctuary:)
Most drugs are not licenced for use in rabbits , as money is rarely allocated for this purpose.
When rabbits are seriously ill, and there is not much other alternative (or in the case of a rabbit affected by Coccidia), it does not make much difference whether drugs is licenced , as long as vet feels it may help.
I trust in a vets opinion about the affectiveness of a drug for our rabbits, as if we waited for all the drugs to be licenced, many bunnies would suffer and probably die before then.
Louise I am glad that you have got to the bottom of the problems, and wish you and the bunnies every success with all the treatments you try.
Thinking of you

Elve it is kind of you to try and help find the information for other members whose bunnies may be affected by coccidia.
However, as their are different strains of Coccidia, it will be down to the individual vet to recommend the best treatment for each rabbit involved.
Steam cleaning is a good method of zapping the bugs though, we are using this to sterilise the rabbit units at the Sanctuary:)
Most drugs are not licenced for use in rabbits , as money is rarely allocated for this purpose.
When rabbits are seriously ill, and there is not much other alternative (or in the case of a rabbit affected by Coccidia), it does not make much difference whether drugs is licenced , as long as vet feels it may help.
I trust in a vets opinion about the affectiveness of a drug for our rabbits, as if we waited for all the drugs to be licenced, many bunnies would suffer and probably die before then.
Louise I am glad that you have got to the bottom of the problems, and wish you and the bunnies every success with all the treatments you try.
Thinking of you

Yes. I wasn't saying that unlicensed drugs should not be used. I have been advocating the use of an unlicensed drug for many weeks now. It's called sulfaquinoxaline. I am aware that there are many types of coccidia. Which is why I keep trying to help those that don't seem to realise this. :roll:

Hi, sorry if I have confused anybody or got it wrong. When I googled coxoid I was given a link straight to Panacur ( not sure what site, sorry up way to early with a very painful ear infection). I am more than happy to be corrected on this matter.

PS As for the Jeyes fluid can this be used on a regular basis for cleaning? Does it need diluting?

Last edited:
Yes defintly dilute it 1 part jeyes to 80 parts water also let the hutch air for a while and dont use it in un ventalated areas

I must say Jeyes fluid is great stuff.... my mum has used it forever and I use it now, it smells good, brings back a lot of childhood memories and kills loads of bad stuff, what more could you want!! Oh and you can buy it from virtually everywhere!:D

Bear in mind though that the fumes from Jeyes are toxic to a rabbit's liver in the same way that wood shavings are - both contain phenols.

I am being very dense here - does the Jeyes fluid need rinsing off or can it air dry. Also how about bleach, does that need rinsing off. Sorry, am new to all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back