• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lion Head Temperments vs Mini-Rex?

nibblers

New Kit
When we lost little Vincint, a few days after his purchase, I called the breeder.

The breeder said none of his rabbits had been sick (year right) but he'd be willing to give me two of our own choice. So, I went; took two of my little girls (ages 10 and 14) and we chose two more.

One, is a Lion Head, male...the other a Min-Rex male.

The Mini Rex is a doll. He's friendly, loves people, longs to be held and gives kisses readily. He loves to snuggle when held and will even settle on the touch, nuzzle into my daughter's arms and fall sleep. ALL comfortable and relaxed. He eagerly offers his nose for scritches, and when his cheeks are gently stroked, he falls asleep, contented and pleased.

The Lion Head...is a terror. He will not let anyone touch him. He bites, hard, scratches thumps.. draws back his ears. He is mean. What was worse is the fact that he continues to attack the Min-Rex.

I have a friend who willingly took the Lion Head. She's an animal behaviorist and really loves the fact he's displaying so much aggression and dominance at such an early age.(10 weeks) When he is neutered, it will be interesting to see if he calms a bit.
She told me that was typical Lion Head behavior, however.

Is this true? Do they tend to be more touchy and agressive rabbits?

Do Mini-Rexes all seem to be more sweet, calm natured, affectionate bunnies?

The Min Rex's name is Brownie (not to original but my daughter loves that name and I just love this bunny!)
The Poor little Lion Head's was named Atila.

She told me that was typical Lion Head behavior, however.

Is this true? Do they tend to be more touchy and agressive rabbits?

No, not true at all. Rabbit breed standard dictate what a rabbit looks like not what their personality is. Dogs were breed for jobs like guarding or herding so dog breeds tend to have personality characteristics that go with the jobs they were bred for. Rabbits have only ever been breed for their looks so rabbit breeds don't have personality traits.

You may a particular breeders line has traits or it can be related to the handling (or lack of) that breeder provides when they're small.

To be honest, it doesn't sound like this breeder/person is great. Were that actually breeding the rabbits? Most breeders focus on one or two breeds he'd had lionheads, netherlands, mini rexes.... If he wasn't actually the breeder you've no idea what the conditions they were bred in, how interested the breeder was in temperament or the handling they got was so it's probably more related to that rather than him being a lionhead.

It's unlikely they will ever be able to live together. Male frequently fight even after neutering. If you want two rabbits it's best to get the one you're keeping neutered and then get him a girlfriend from a reputable breeder (don't go back to this one!) or even better a rescue :)

Tamsin

Our lionhead Herbie is a gentle softie, the dwarf lop Barney is a real aggressive territorial nowt with me! Before they arrived daughter found some info on breeds "laid back, loves cuddles" for lops - ha ha! I am scarred (and scared) for life! Lop is fine with daughter, has issues with me, gives me the evil eye - I kid not! As he has the teeth I am afraid he has the upper paw. He is still young so I hope he mellows with age!

Last edited:
Our lionhead Herbie is a gentle softie, the dwarf lop Barney is a real aggressive territorial nowt with me! Before they arrived daughter found some info on breeds "laid back, loves cuddles" for lops - ha ha! I am scarred (and scared) for life! Lop is fine with daughter, has issues with me, gives me the evil eye - I kid not! As he has the teeth I am afraid he has the upper paw. He is still young so I hope he mellows with age!

Show no fear - Go well prepared with wellington boots, jeans, jumper and an oven glove. If you know he can't hurt you maybe he will sense that you are now da boss.

My choci (lionhead) is a joy to be around loves cuddles and everything but does have off moments like yesturday when he bit my finger and peed on me:roll:

My other lionhead lily, is a right terror most days, she only reallylikes fuss if shes moulting, then she uses me to get the excess of:roll: .

Theodore my giant thinks I'm a walking cabbage leaf, unless he wants a kiss then he'll but you with his nose.

Bunnykins was a right moster, but mickey was a great but would not let you pick him up and lucy was very independant.

So out of six bunnies I've got one that loves me, two that do/did tolerate me, one that prefered its own company and two that are terrors:evil:

vikki

"Show no fear - Go well prepared with wellington boots, jeans, jumper and an oven glove. If you know he can't hurt you maybe he will sense that you are now da boss. "

Hey that made me giggle, will try the oven gloves!!!

Sadly my daughter has gone away for a few days so it's me there Were Rabbit as my other half has dubbed him. Also sadly his dislike of me is very personal, right now I know he is biding his time before another attack. Last night when I stood up from a chair he jumped straight up behind me and then pooped for good measure. I am very wary of trying to get the upperhand because if I cross him and he has missed biting me then he attacks Herb instead. Normally they are very happy together so I don't want to upset the status quo. Guess that makes me a wimp but as long as Louise can handle him I am now happy to keep my distance.

Ive had lionheads display all types of character. Now I have:

One lovely docile neutered doe
One unneutered horror who tries to have my hand off every day (but is too fat to move fast enough)
One lively energetic neutered doe
One shy retiring unneutered boy who is just starting to trust me.

No correlation between breed at all but certainly one between types of previous owner and neutering!

My Shadow (lionhead) is very loving and follows me all over & love siting on my knee plus loves getting brushed.

Back